Changing A records from Proxy to DNS only

Hi all. I am looking to return control of the DNS settings from Cloudflare to the originating domain registrar on this occasion. I could see that all of the A records are currently proxied in Cloudflare, naturally enough. I exported the DNS settings and set them up on the originating domain registrar, ready to switch the nameservers back to defaults in 24-48 hours.

I wasn’t sure if changing the A records from proxy to ‘DNS only’ in Cloudflare would, in fact, act much like manually changing the A records in normal ‘non-proxy’ circumstances, and it did with the domain not resolving, and the website becoming unreachable almost instantly. About 12 hours later I am still seeing a DNS error ‘too many redirects’.

I’m beginning to think this might be tied to the SSL certificate rather than an issue with DNS propagation. Can anyone advise?

Thanks

Set your SSL/TLS setting to “Full (strict)” here…
https://dash.cloudflare.com/?to=/:account/:zone/ssl-tls

Otherwise, what is the domain?

Thanks for the suggestion. Much appreciated. The domain is haztechwaste.co.uk

Did you make the change to the SSL/TLS setting? It’s most likely that’s your problem.
https://cf.sjr.org.uk/tools/check?b5f5513141934ee18cd6cf71e9e45ac6#connection-server

Hi. I can’t actually make it myself as it’s someone else who has the access right now so I’ll pass this on to them so that they can make it or I expect they might prefer to give me the access details and I’ll make it but it probably won’t be until tomorrow morning now (GMT).

Thanks for your advice. Very much appreciated.

I’ve actually been able to make that change right away and set the SSL to “Full (strict)” but now I’m getting a different error which is an Error 1000 and says " You’ve requested a page on a website (haztechwaste.co.uk) that is on the [Cloudflare] network. Unfortunately, it is resolving to an IP address that is creating a conflict within Cloudflare’s system." It suggests I change the A records to a different one but these are the ones that I exported from the DNS settings export function. Any ideas on what might be happening here?

The error means what it says. The A records set point back to Cloudflare.

Possibly the domain was previously on Cloudflare and it has imported those IPs as the records were proxied. Alternatively it may be your host uses Cloudflare and something needs to be configured.

Can you show a screenshot of your DNS records?

You could contact your host to check what A/AAAA or CNAMEs are required to point at the hosting.

Yes, I guess it must be right, but I’m puzzled because I got these details by exporting the DNS settings from Cloudflare, so I had guessed that this meant that these records were pointing to the server for the current website. I’ve taken a screenshot of the records that I’d set up at the originating registrar to mirror the Cloudflare settings based on the exported text file

Yes I could contact the current host and double-check the settings but as the new site is ready to go live and in the circumstances the old site is effectively down, I may be at the point where I just switch the nameservers at the registrar back to defaults and update the A record to the correct/new ones.

Thanks again for your advice. Much appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.