Changed nameservers and website now not available

Wanted to get an ssl certificate so signed up with Cloudflare and changed the nameservers with my host as required. Have had the Status active email from Cloudflare but the website has disappeared and is shown as unavailable - “can’t be reached”. Have absolutely no idea what I should do now. I’m not a website newbie but don’t have any knowledge on the specifics of this subject and some of the help I’ve checked is less than helpful to a newcomer to this area.
Any help gratefully received
Hilary

I am afraid that’s not how it works. Your site first needs to be secure on your server and only then you can add it to Cloudflare.

I’d suggest to remove it from Cloudflare for now and first secure the site.

Well, when I asked my web host how I secured the website and got an SSL certifcate I was told to do it via Cloudflare by setting up an account for the website - this is what they said:
“To get a Free SSL cert for your website, go to https://www.cloudflare.com and sign up for a free account and complete the setup (this usually just involves changing the name servers for your domain name - it will not affect your website).”.

I did this for another webiste and it worked perfectly but it was a while ago and I can’t recall the exact details - obviously did something slightly different this time. If I remove it from Cloudflare and the dns details are left as they are now surely the website still won’t be available?

I am afraid your host gave you wrong information here. Your site needs to be first secure on your server and that’s something your host has to do. With that information I’d seriously consider changing host, as I am not sure they know what they are doing.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.