CDN vs Workers

I looking at Cloudflare to serve a large-ish amount of image assets (TB’s per month) via a subdomain , such as assets.app.com. The websites that display these images are also served by Cloudflare, albeit, spread across various customer domains (www.cust1.com, www.cust2.com, etc) all served by Cloudflare SSL for Sass.

It’s my understanding that whether I have a free or paid subscription, I’ll likely be in violation of TOC 2.8 if I try to serve the images over a subdomain via Cloudflare CDN. Can anyone confirm this?

As an alternative, I’ve been looking at Workers to serve the assets, since the TOC seems be permit serving primarily images, and the price is very competitive. Does anyone see an issue with this arrangement?

If this usage of Workers is permitted, I’m left to wonder - why is it okay to deliver TB’s of images over the CF network using Workers, but not okay to deliver TB of images using the CDN product? Why doesn’t CF just offer a true paid CDN product??

Thanks

Are you serving the images within HTML content? The TOS specifically says:

Use of the Services for serving video or a disproportionate percentage of pictures, audio files, or other non-HTML content is prohibited, unless purchased separately as part of a Paid Service or expressly allowed under our Supplemental Terms for a specific Service.

If your primary use for these images is within web pages, then I don’t imagine you’ll have any issues. Disclaimer that I’m not a lawyer of course.

As for Workers, you could store the images within Workers KV and serve them that way. You’ll be paying for the storage there, and the workers + KV requests.

Or alternatively, you may want to look at Cloudflare’s Images product.

1 Like

Yes, the images being served are only viewed in HTML content - which are our customers’ websites that are served from our platform.

If your primary use for these images is within web pages, then I don’t imagine you’ll have any issues.

Our platform serves image portfolio websites, and because of this, we’re worried that we serve a “disproportionate percentage of images” compared to the average website.

alternatively, you may want to look at Cloudflare’s Images product.

Since we serve such a high number of smallish images and thumbnails, Cloudflare images is prohibitively expensive.