Can't verify Cloudflare Origin CA root certificates

I’m using Cloudflare for DNS.

I created an edge cert that I am trying to install in Netlify. The problem is with the origin CA Certificate I get here (https://developers.cloudflare.com/ssl/origin-configuration/origin-ca).

When I verify it with:
openssl verify Downloads/origin_ca_ecc_root.pem

I get an error: “error 18 at 0 depth lookup: self signed certificate”

This seems to be an issue with Cloudflare. I believe this is preventing me from installing my new edge certificate in Netlify. Any thoughts?

Hi @webdev17,

Cloudflare Origin Certificates are not publicly valid and only work to secure the connection between Cloudflare and your server if your site is proxied through Cloudflare. Tools like that will show them as invalid and browsers won’t trust them directly.

1 Like

That is good to know. Thanks for the knownledge.

I am trying to install anewly created RSA edge certificate (with this root cerificate) in Netlify and am getting an error “certificate is not a valid PEM certificate.”

Any thoughts on why we would be getting this error?

Perhaps Netlify are trying to verify that the certificate is publicly valid and that’s why they are returning the error? I’m not sure, you will probably have to clarify with them if there is a way to install it.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.