Can't resolve DNS glue vs A record conflict

For months, I have been getting users complain that they cannot access my site. I just found an error from leaf dns claiming that I have a glue vs A record conflict.

Welcome to the Cloudflare community.

I am sorry to hear that you are encountering difficulty with some visitors reaching your site. I am afraid the notice from Leaf DNS is not relevant in your situation.

Glue records are critical when you are using namesevers that are in your own domain. If your domain was example.com and you had nameservers at ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com, a resolver wouldn’t know where to look without the glue records. Your nameservers are not your own domain, which means this is not the source of any trouble your visitors may be experiencing.

This incorrect diagnosis on the part o Leaf DNS has come up in the community before.

Echoing the conclusion in the topic I shared, can you share your domain name and the specific details of the problems your visitors report?

chicksonright dot com

Users say that using Chrome, Duck Duck Go, Brave and so on, they cannot get to the site.

I am able to resolve the domain name using my own nameservers as well as T-Mobile’s, Cloudflare’s 1.1.1.1 and Google’s 8.8.8.8.

Do you know if there may be any common variables among those encountering difficulty connecting to your site? For example are they using the same network provider?

I don’t know of any common variables. It seems intermittent. Sometimes users are suddenly able to to access the site again.

The only other clue I have is that the Twitter card validator has never been able to resolve the site. It returns an error that says “cannot resolve the address.” I can curl the site as the Twitterbot, so it is not robots.txt blocking it or anything.

Chatting with Go Daddy. Because I read on the internet that Glue records are created at the domain’s registrar. Here is what they told me when I told them that.
Screenshot 2022-11-14 200821

The registrar (Go Daddy) seemed to know all about this. They removed the glue records and assured me that the problem would be resolved once the DNS propagates. I will update.

1 Like

Update: It appears this was not the problem. After comparing to my dev site, I noticed I was (sometimes) getting the same results, but the dev site is not having the same problem. So something else is going on.

I am still getting reports from all over the place that folks cannot resolve the domain. Months and months of this and no one seems to have a clue.