Can't ping or access 1.1.1.1

I can ping 8.8.8.8, also 1.0.0.1, but I cannot ping 1.1.1.1 nor can I visit the website.
I want to use it as my dns for both router and custom android dns.
Thank you!

Can you share a screenshot / output of the results when you run ping 1.1.1.1 / 1.0.0.1 command?

Working fine from my end - desktop PC (1.1.1.1 / 1.0.0.1 DNS configured in Control panel → Network devices)

Have you troubleshoot your Internet connection (maybe something at the ISP level)?

Can you share the output of (kindly mask/hide your IP if visible):

First of all I don’t use windows, and I specify dns on the router level.

If I try to ping 1.1.1.1, I am stuck at
“PING 1.1.1.1 (1.1.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data.”

Nor can I access 1.1.1.1 or and of its page like 1.1.1.1/help, as i get this

Unable to connect
An error occurred during a connection to 1.1.1.1.
The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Maybe your ISP works with it’s own DNS servers, therefore meaning if you change them at your router, you might not be able to get the IP address (via DHCP) from your ISP and you cannot have internet connection “as-is”? :thinking:

• other workaround which I do see could be to configure 1.1.1.1 DNS at the device itself (not router), or using DoH setup in a Web browser, or using Cloudflare WARP app …

Maybe ISP is blocking something.

I can use any other dns, but 1.1.1.1.
I am using the openwrt firmware, if anyone has expertise on that.

Many local networks improperly use the address 1.1.1.1 for internal purposes, even though it doesn’t belong to them. Have you tried ‘traceroute’?

Hey, This is my output for 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1. traceroute 8.8.8.8traceroute to 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8), 30 hops max, 60 byte packet - Pastebin.com
I have replaced some IPs with X for privacy. If you require it, please let me know.
Thanks a lot!!!

You’re on Telestra? 1.1.1.1 doesn’t even get out of your immediate network. That second line X’d out most of the info, but it’s pretty much going nowhere. You might try a traceroute of 1.0.0.1 for comparison.

Again thank you for helping me!
Edit: i don’t know what Telestra is.

Telstra (I misspelled it before) is an Australian ISP. They own the 1.128 IP address range. Unless your network misappropriated that range as well.

I live in India. Anything I can do?

I don’t know what it will take to fix your local network issues, so I recommend you just use 1.0.0.1 instead.

1 Like

In android, there is only 1.1.1.1, i think ( in custom dns).

Those IPs cannot be used to trace anything back to you, so you don’t have anythint to worry, but also lets folks here understand how your ISP is routing you to 1.1.1.1.

Are you using a national ISP in Mumbai?

No, I am using my local ISP.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.