Can't get Redirect rule to work!

Hello all,

I have 4 subdomains which need to be redirected to a different domain. I have created A records, assigned them to 192.0.2.1, and have enabled the proxy. I have also created the rules for these subdomains in “Redirect Rules”, with “Hostname” equal to the the full address, and have redirected them to static URLs. But my redirect is not working (I get “This site can’t be reached” error). When I ping it, I get 192.0.2.1.

Any idea what’s wrong and how I can fix it?

Greetings,

Thank you for asking.

So you do have it like below, correct? :thinking:

Therefrom, this doesn’t work when you try to open test.example.com (sub-domain)? :thinking:

The above from screenshot works perfectly fine for my test zone, theremfrom just to double-check that if your domain name is using the assigned Cloudflare nameservers for your CF account, also you didn’t enabled the “Pause Cloudflare” option, correct?

May I ask if you’ve tried in different Web browser or device, even different network type like mobile data?

Might be even due to the DNS cache. Might have to wait a bit for few minutes or trying to flush your DNS on your device.

2 Likes

Thanks for the prompt reply! Correct, this is what I have, and I have not only tested it in different browsers, I have tested it from different countries! I have also cleared my DNS cache on my local machines.

I have not paused Cloudflare. I wasn’t even aware one could do that. Where should I look for that?

3 Likes

Huh! You were correct, the problem was that Cloudflare was disabled! Everything seems to be working now. Thank you!

3 Likes

VPN?

Thank you for feedback information.

Should be located at the Overview tab → bottom right corner.

slika

Could you share a sub-domain for example, you can add a new DNS record A type, write test point to 192.0.2.1 and :orange:.
Therefrom, add a new rule as you’ve did, and redirect it to https://www.google.hr/.
Save and post here the test sub-domain in a dotted[dot] notation in case you cannot share and post links so I could troubleshoot and provide more feedback what might be going on here.

1 Like

Ou, that was the case then :slight_smile:

I am happy to assist you :wink:

1 Like

Unfortunately my main domain and all other subdomains stopped working after I enabled Cloudflare… any idea why?

May I ask were they working over the HTTPS before, without Cloudflare? :thinking:
Could be the SSl certificate isn’t renewed, or some other SSL settings could change in the meantime.

Nevertheless, could you share the screenshot of the error you’re receiving now? :thinking:

So they’re all proxied :orange: now and Cloudflare isn’t Paused anymore?

Furthermore, may I ask you to post and share your domain name in bracketed dot [.] notation (example[dot]com) here so we could double-check, troubleshoot and provide some more feedback information? :thinking:

1 Like

These sites are hosted on vercel and vimeo, and they take care of the HTTPS certificate, so yet, they were working before. They are all proxied. I turned of the proxy on these subdomains and things are going back to normal.

My main domain is docunight dot com. some of the subdomains are panel, admin, and edu. Like I said, I turned off the proxy and they are working now, but they didn’t work with proxy.

2 Likes

Thanks for feedback.

If proxied :orange: and if the SSL certificate is valid, the SSL setting in Cloudflare to Full (strict). Could be it was on Flexible or something else.

Nevertheless, as by from Vercel’s Documentation, and depending on the integration you’re using, seems like the proxy should be disabled in your case :grey:

3 Likes

You are correct, SSL was on Flexible. I have some work to do to understand Cloudflare… thank you again for your prompt and detailed help. I very much appreciate it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.