Cannot send emails

Hi,

I can’t send emails anymore. When I go to my WFM cpanel, it says DKM, SPF, and PTR are all fine. But there’s a little “i” triangle, and when I hover over it, it says, “The system does not control the DNS for the XXXX domain. Contact the person responsible for the x.cloudlfare and y.cloudlfare nameservers and request that they update the records.”

What are they talking about? I have a A record and a cname record - I assume they are correct because you can see the website online. The DKIM and SPF is correct (it says so).

What am I missing here? These are add on domains. I can receive email, just can’t send.

Any help would be appreciated.

If you are using Cloudflare’s name servers, then you need to set any DNS records in your Cloudflare dashboard here…
https://dash.cloudflare.com/?to=/:account/:zone/dns

Ensure any records for email (usually mail, smtp, imap, pop or pop3) are set to “DNS only” and not proxied.

My question is: change what? This site has been up for years. Then it had a problem, so I restored from backup. But the DNS records haven’t changed and look correct to me:

CNAME www mywebsite.com.au Proxied Auto
A mywebsite.com.au 207.244.xxx.xxx Proxied Auto
A mail 207.244.xxx.xxx DNS only Auto
A webmail 207.244.xxx.xxx DNS only Auto

MX mywebsite.com.au mailmywebsite.com.au DNS only Auto
TXT default._domainkey v=DKIM1; k=rsa; p=MIIBIjANBgk… DNS only Auto

What is the domain name?

TXT mywebsite.com.au google-site-verification=wH_ DNS only 1 hr
TXT mywebsite.com.au v=spf1 ip4:122.xxx.xxx.xx +a +mx ~all DNS only Auto

shireguttercleaners.com.au

Looks OK from a Cloudflare point of view.
https://cf.sjr.org.uk/tools/check?4411cdcc1fe9405a9a164c07b0d191d7#dns-mail

Assuming your mail client is sending mail to mail.shireguttercleaners.com.au, which does resolve to an IP address (correctly set to “DNS only”) that has a mail server on it, all should be ok. There doesn’t seem to be a problem with the Cloudflare settings from what I can see. If you are having problems sending, check with your mail provider. What error are you getting from your client?

Also, double check your SPF record. The approved sending IP address is different from your mail server IP address. That may be ok, depending on the mail provider setup, but just make sure.

1 Like

My gut feel is the SPF, but there is no error when I send. No bounce back. It’s like it sends ok, just never arrives.

That could be because the final destination is refusing the delivery with a temporary failure code, indicating that it is a transient error, that would likely vanish automatically in a little while.

As mail servers generally re-try message deliveries for 120 hours (5 days), it could take up to these 5 days for a bounce to be returned to you, if the final destination is using temporary failure codes as mentioned above.

If you want to, you’re more than welcome to send me a test message my way, and I can tell you what I see (if I’m receiving anything).

[email protected]