Cannot install the new GPG key from pkg.cloudflare.com

Hi,

Today when I was trying to update my linux machine, I had the surprise of seeing the following message :

E: The repository ‘https pkg[dot]Cloudflare[dot]com buster Release’ does not have a Release file.

So I went to pkg[dot]Cloudflare[dot]com and followed the instruction for my distro (Ubuntu 22.04)

However, after followng the instructions, apt complains that i couldn’t verify the signature because it couldn’t find the following public key

NO_PUBKEY 254B391D8CACCBF8

I’d like to correct this issue so that I can update cloudflared in a secure manner

Thank you for your time

What does your /etc/apt/sources.list.d/cloudflared.list file look like? Have you removed the old source file?

cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/cloudflared.list
deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/Cloudflare-main.gpg] scheme://pkg[dot]Cloudflare[dot]com/cloudflared jammy main

And yes I removed the old source file :

ls -l /etc/apt/sources.list.d
total 12
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 106 août 10 21:30 cloudflared.list
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 71 mai 28 10:04 download_docker_com_linux_ubuntu.list
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 89 mai 28 10:04 microsoft-prod.list

I’d cat the /usr/share/keyrings/Cloudflare-main.gpg file, bit it’s binary data…

Had to change the URLs, as I cannot post links

Can you try replacing

deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/Cloudflare-main.gpg] https://pkg.Cloudflare.com/cloudflared jammy main

with

deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/Cloudflare-main.gpg] https://pkg.Cloudflare.com/cloudflared buster main

Tried it, same error :

Err:3 pkg[dot]Cloudflare[dot]com/cloudflared buster InRelease
The following signatures couldn’t be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 254B391D8CACCBF8
Reading package lists… Done
W: GPG error: pkg[dot]Cloudflare[dot]com/cloudflared buster InRelease: The following signatures couldn’t be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 254B391D8CACCBF8
E: The repository ‘pkg[dot]Cloudflare[dot]com/cloudflared buster InRelease’ is not signed.

Can you try deleting the sources file and key then resetting it up. I have upgraded 3 seperate systems without issue.

1 Like

Ok, let’s try one more time then :slight_smile:

Removing source & GPG Key

sudo rm /usr/share/keyrings/Cloudflare-main.gpg
sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/cloudflared.list

apt update:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8 sudo apt update
Hit:1 fr[dot]archive[dot]ubuntu[dot]com/ubuntu jammy InRelease
Get:2 fr[dot]archive[dot]ubuntu[dot]com/ubuntu jammy-updates InRelease [114 kB]
Hit:3 download[dot]docker[dot]com/linux/ubuntu jammy InRelease
Hit:4 packages[dot]microsoft[dot]com/ubuntu/22[dot]04/prod jammy InRelease
Get:5 fr[dot]archive[dot]ubuntu[dot]com/ubuntu jammy-backports InRelease [99[dot]8 kB]
Get:6 fr[dot]archive[dot]ubuntu[dot]com/ubuntu jammy-security InRelease [110 kB]
Get:7 fr[dot]archive[dot]ubuntu[dot]com/ubuntu jammy-updates/main amd64 Packages [502 kB]
Get:8 fr[dot]archive[dot]ubuntu[dot]com/ubuntu jammy-updates/universe amd64 Packages [210 kB]
Fetched 1036 kB in 4s (275 kB/s)
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree… Done
Reading state information… Done

Cloudflare source is not here anymore, I’ll consider the removal OK.

Now to follow the instructions on pkg[dot]Cloudflare[dot]com

sudo mkdir -p --mode=0755 /usr/share/keyrings

curl -fsSL pkg[dot]Cloudflare[dot]com/Cloudflare-main.gpg | sudo tee /usr/share/keyrings/Cloudflare-main.gpg >/dev/null

And let’s try first with the jammy source

echo ‘deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/Cloudflare-main.gpg] pkg[dot]Cloudflare[dot]com/cloudflared jammy main’ | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/cloudflared.list

And…

apt update throws no errors…

Well, thanks for the help, kinda weird that redoing it from the start fixed, it.

Thanks for you time and help anyways :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.