Cannot configure DNS after accidentally deleting zone

I was using terraform to configure my cloudflare zone and records and accidentally deleted the zone for the domain name I purchased via Cloudflare.

The domain still shows on my account and I’ve re-created the site in my Cloudflare account but when I try to manage the domain it takes me to the 404 page. The site shows the DNS as needing to update the nameservers.

Is the domain in limbo or what?

1 Like

We can help, what is the domain name?

tinyweb.site is the domain name. Thank you!

Is it saying something other than Carter and Grannbo?

While you’re digging around, take a look at the Audit Log at dash.cloudflare.com. It usually tells you every change you’ve made in your account, including the values.

1 Like

While you’re digging around, take a look at the Audit Log at dash.cloudflare.com. It usually tells you every change you’ve made in your account, including the values.

Yes, I did and it didn’t help.

Dec 27, 2021
Rec del
[email protected]
tinyweb.site
Date:2021-12-27T23:50:26-06:00
User IP Address:66.68.49.127
Resource:DNS record
Old Value:
{
  "Content": "104.21.9.46",
  "Id": "e6f98f40c5affb27971717fe68c442b2",
  "Name": "tinyweb.site",
  "Proxied": true,
  "Ttl": 1,
  "Type": "A",
  "Zone id": "ff8f0525d545bdcf65ed93d9dc86b848",
  "Zone name": "tinyweb.site"
}
Interface:UI
Audit Record:986fa172-dfce-4cd8-b505-6005ff99f917
Metadata:
{
  "Zone name": "tinyweb.site"
}

This is an example of one of the record deletions from the automatically created site from my domain purchase.

The problem is I can’t manage the domain I purchased via Cloudflare. If I could then I could ensure the nameservers are set correctly.

Here’s screenshots of what happens.

First I visit the “buy domains” page, see the domain it says I own:

see next post for continuation, I’m limited to one media item per post.

Then I attempt to click “Manage” and get:

Not a lot I can do with that. Unfortunately the Terraform provider for Cloudflare borked me here.

:point_up_2: + :point_down:

Is confusing as

Domain Name: TINYWEB.SITE
Registry Domain ID: Not Available From Registry
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.publicdomainregistry.com
Registrar URL: www.publicdomainregistry.com

tinyweb.site is not registered via Cloudflare Registrar.

I see you added tinyweb.site, deleted and added again but the name server change was never confirmed. Can you check the spelling of the domain you purchased? Ah, yes check the name

Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 11.47.00 AM

1 Like

I think, and I could be wrong, that the problem is Terraform deleted the zone in a manner that Cloudflare actually released the domain back to the registry they get the wholesale from. I can’t repurchase it as annoying as that would be because Cloudflare’s dashboard thinks I still own it. See the screenshot above for that.

Here’s an email from Cloudflare about the zone getting deleted:

I’d like to know how I can get it re-added for reinstatement as the email says is possible.

Can you check the spelling of the domain name you purchased?

yeah see for yourself:

You keep posting two different spellings. “Tiny” and “Tidy”. Which one is this about?

2 Likes

OOF. That’s probably it. What a brain squeegee. Thank you :sob: :sob: :sob:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.