Can not forward emails

Every time I try to forward and email, I get an error message that says it is undeliverable.

What exactly does this bounce message say?

I’m sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to one or more recipients. It’s attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

I am not very computer literate. Is there a way I can forward the whole message to you. When I tried to copy and paste the whole message, cloudflare would not allow my reply to go through. They said something about not allowing me to reply with links included in the reply.

This is the message I got from Cloudflare when I tried to copy and paste the whole email. I am not sure what they mean.

An error occurred: Sorry, you can’t include links in your post. To share a link, click the pre-formatted text option which will add back ticks characters to the url. backtick example

I am unable to forward any emails that I receive. Instead of forwarding them, I get a message that says, “Unable to Deliver”. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

That doesn’t say anything about why the delivery failed.

This one is only the beginning of a message, that may eventually be able to add value, that can be used in order to assist you.

However, the important parts (e.g. the stuff that come below “The mail system”) are missing in your message above.

It will typically say something like:

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<[email protected]>: host mx1.smtp.goog[2001:4860:4802:32::97] said: 550-5.1.1
    The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please try
    550-5.1.1 double-checking the recipient's email address for typos or
    550-5.1.1 unnecessary spaces. Learn more at 550 5.1.1
    https://support.google.com/mail/?p=NoSuchUser
    some-long-id-here - gsmtp (in reply to
    RCPT TO command)

Followed by something like:

Reporting-MTA: dns; mail.example.net
X-Postfix-Queue-ID: ABCDEF1234567
X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; [email protected]
Arrival-Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 07:44:30 +0100 (CET)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; [email protected]
Original-Recipient: rfc822;[email protected]
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; mx1.smtp.goog
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550-5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does
    not exist. Please try 550-5.1.1 double-checking the recipient's email
    address for typos or 550-5.1.1 unnecessary spaces. Learn more at 550 5.1.1
    some-long-id-here - gsmtp

The example above would indicate that “[email protected]” tried to send a message to “[email protected]”, where the mail server named “mail.example.net” could not deliver it to Google, because Google refused the delivery with the “550 5.1.1” status code, as well as an elaborative error message, indicating that the email address [email protected] does not exist.

These two sections are MANDATORY, if anyone anyone should be able to assist, or otherwise be able to look further in to the problem with you.

If you had issues posting that information, try adding the information within triple backticks, e.g. like this example, which was used to post the stuff above:

```
<[email protected]>: host mx1.smtp.goog[2001:4860:4802:32::97] said: 550-5.1.1
    The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please try
    550-5.1.1 double-checking the recipient's email address for typos or
    550-5.1.1 unnecessary spaces. Learn more at 550 5.1.1
    some-long-id-here - gsmtp (in reply to
    RCPT TO command)
```

Once you have shared the crucial information, I’ll be happy to let you know some potential options you may have to fix the issue.

I tried to copy the whole email but it will not let me, so I am going to try to send it to you in two parts. This is part 1. If this goes through to you I will copy and send the rest of the email.

Here is the bottom part of the email. Let’s see if this also goes through. Please be as basic as you can in your reply as I am 74 years old and pretty much “computer illiterate”

Nothing went through with the two messages above, if we’re looking away from your own text. :frowning:

One thing I do notice, is that your two messages this time, was actually delivered to the Cloudflare Community via email.

I’m trying to send you a private message, containing an email address, - if you want to, you can try sending / forwarding the “Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender” error message to that email address.

The problem with your message, according to the forwarded bounce details is that your domain name does not have the appropriate domain authentication (e.g. DKIM or SPF) set up.

Google, whom have been known to be extra strict for @gmail.com than their Workspace (custom domain) customers, in regards to spam filtering, have ramped up their policies for inbound email traffic a couple of times over the past time.

I believe they did so in November 2022, and again here as per February 1, 2024, they will do so again.

The (redacted) “Diagnostic-Code”, holding both the error code, as well as the extended text is suggesting this:

Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550-5.7.26 This mail has been blocked because the sender
    is unauthenticated. 550-5.7.26 Gmail requires all senders to authenticate
    with either SPF or DKIM. 550-5.7.26  550-5.7.26  Authentication results:
    550-5.7.26  DKIM = did not pass 550-5.7.26  SPF [example.net] with ip:
    [192.0.2.123] = did not pass 550-5.7.26  550-5.7.26  For instructions on
    setting up authentication, go to 550 5.7.26
    https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#authentication
    some-long-id-here - gsmtp

For the three messages you’ve sent me, they were all claiming to be sent with your own domain, in the message’s From: header.

None of them held any DKIM-Signature header, meaning that they had not been DKIM signed by your email provider.

The first (dated Sun, 28 Jan 2024 19:46:56 +0000) and the third one (dated Sun, 28 Jan 2024 19:58:40 +0000), was both sharing the same characteristics, of appearing to be sent from a FREE Outlook message, which held a “[email protected]” address, as the SMTP transaction’s MAIL FROM / Envelope From (literally, the return mail address on the envelope, if you compare it to physical snail mail through postal services), where the XXX apparently refer to some unique ID.

For these that appears to be sent through the FREE Outlook (assuming that I’m correct about that part, that you are sending any payments towards Microsoft / Office 365 / Outlook in any kind of way), it is my understanding that you cannot do anything to DKIM sign your messages from their end, which would (unfortunately) be one of the consequences of using custom domains on the free mail.

Going forward towards the February 1, 2024 requirements from both Google and Yahoo, you won’t be able to satisfy their requirements using the FREE Outlook to deliver your messages.

However, -

Looking at the second message (dated Sun, 28 Jan 2024 14:50:36 -0500), that was apparently send through Rackspace Hosting’s infrastructure, you do actually have the SMTP transaction’s MAIL FROM / Envelope From using your own domain name.

To satisfy the SPF requirement alone, you can go to:

https://dash.cloudflare.com/?to=/:account/:zone/dns

On this page, you simply add a type TXT record like this, with this content:

And, the data from the image, as copy-paste able text:

Type: TXT
Name: @
Content: v=spf1 include:emailsrvr.com –all
TTL: Preferably set it to something like 12-24 hours, as mail related records likely do not change that often.

Depending on what product you have with Rackspace Hosting for your email there,I would suggest you to look in to setting up DKIM for your email with them, if they have that option on the specific product you’re using.

But adding that record, as mentioned above, should fix the problem for the specific error message that you forwarded to me.

Again, I’m very sceptical for the future, regarding the two messages you sent, that appears to be from a FREE Outlook.

My recommendation, both to you, and to anyone else, would be to lean towards moving to email providers that allows for the proper email authentication marks to be applied to outbound email messages sent through them, and especially DKIM.

1 Like