Can I specify a 1.1.1.1 server when running with cloudflared?

I am in seattle, therefore I want to use the seattle server. I am using cloudflared right now and going to 1.1.1.1/help gives me this
https://1.1.1.1/help#eyJpc0NmIjoiWWVzIiwiaXNEb3QiOiJObyIsImlzRG9oIjoiWWVzIiwicmVzb2x2ZXJJcC0xLjEuMS4xIjoiWWVzIiwicmVzb2x2ZXJJcC0xLjAuMC4xIjoiWWVzIiwicmVzb2x2ZXJJcC0yNjA2OjQ3MDA6NDcwMDo6MTExMSI6Ik5vIiwicmVzb2x2ZXJJcC0yNjA2OjQ3MDA6NDcwMDo6MTAwMSI6Ik5vIiwiZGF0YWNlbnRlckxvY2F0aW9uIjoiUERYIiwiaXNXYXJwIjoiTm8iLCJpc3BOYW1lIjoiQ2xvdWRmbGFyZSIsImlzcEFzbiI6IjEzMzM1In0=
the portland server.

There’s nothing in Cloudflare that lets a user override their default data center. If you’re routed to Portland, it’s because your ISP has determined that to be the quickest route for that request.

Seattle to Portland is 173 miles (by car). That’s 0.000928697519 seconds at the speed of light (fibre); not quite a millisecond. BGP routing in general isn’t that exact and network topologies don’t always conform to linear distance.

While it is theoretically possible to allow a specific datacenter connection, that would reduce the availability and reliability of the service overall. And depending on ‘real world’ connections might actually be slower.

2 Likes