Can Cloudflare stream be used instead of AWS S3?

Greetings, and thank you ahead of time for any help! I currently use AWS S3 to store and deliver video files for my subscription-based website. Our development team is currently configuring Cloudflare CDN with R2, Tiered cache, and Cache reserve. We have about 4,000 minutes/ 400 GB of video content to be stored, and approximately 120,000 minutes/ 12,000 GB of video is watched (on demand) each month with AWS S3.

My questions:

1. Is Cloudflare Stream a suitable alternative to AWS S3 for storage and ‘hosting’ my videos files that are served on demand?
  2. If so, would I need to keep AWS S3 service or would I simply transfer all files to Cloudflare Stream?
  3. Would I need to keep AWS EC2 machine for computing, or does Cloudflare Stream also handle the computing?
  4. Which Cloudflare Stream plan/ bundle would suffice for 120,000 minutes/ 12,000 GB of video watched each month?

Thank you to anyone who can shed a little light on this topic for us!
Cheers,
Patrick

Hi Patrick,

It sounds like Stream would be perfect for your use case.

To answer your questions.

1. Is Cloudflare Stream a suitable alternative to AWS S3 for storage and ‘hosting’ my videos files that are served on demand?

Yes it would be suitable.

1. If so, would I need to keep AWS S3 service or would I simply transfer all files to Cloudflare Stream?

You would upload all your videos to Cloudflare Stream - Upload videos · Cloudflare Stream docs

1. Would I need to keep AWS EC2 machine for computing, or does Cloudflare Stream also handle the computing?

It’s hard to say here, as I’m not sure if I fully understand what your AWS EC2 is being used for - however in terms of the videos, everything should be served from Cloudflare, Stream handles storage, encoding and delivery of the video. You would just need to reconfigure your website to point to the videos being served from Cloudflare possibly.

1. Which Cloudflare Stream plan/ bundle would suffice for 120,000 minutes/ 12,000 GB of video watched each month?

Based on your usage, I would recommend speaking with one of our Sales team to discuss your requirements, I was looking at the Creator bundle - Cloudflare Stream | Video streaming made easy and affordable at scale, but it does not seem to match your usage - so speaking with our sales team would be my advice here.

Hope this helps!

regards,
Damian

3 Likes

Damian, thank you so much for this very helpful reply! Yes, it does sound like Cloudflare Stream is something that we would be interested in, and I found a place that shows the cost for each additional 1000 minutes of video served.

If you don’t mind, I had just a few more questions;

1. Does Cloudflare Stream automatically make use of the Cloudflare CDN network (like using R2 does)? And, would it still be necessary to set up R2, Tiered Cache, and Cache Reserve when using Cloudflare Stream?

2. Would Cloudflare Stream (and/ or any other Cloudflare products) allow us to run our website entirely with Cloudflare? Our site offers video and images on demand, a video live stream function, a store that sells video clips for download, and a payment gateway page. Would we be able to migrate our website script and all of its functionality to Cloudflare, or would it make more sense to continue using AWS for parts of our website’s functionality?

3. Does Cloudflare Stream serve video up to the original quality it is uploaded? In the link you provided above, it mentions ‘Adaptive bitrate coding to select ideal resolution’; would this be dependent on the end user’s internet speed?

Thank you so much for all your help!
Patrick

Damian, one additional question; What is the maximum file size for Cloudflare Stream?
Thanks,
Patrick

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you here.

To answer your questions…

1. You should not require purchasing additional features with Stream, it is its own standalone product and does not require additional services to function.

2. This is more difficult to say with confidence as I’m not familiar with your website, however we do have a Cloudflare Pages + Developer platform - that should allow you to build a website fully on Cloudflare + integrating with Stream so that you do not require any other origin or third-party.

3. Correct, you can read more about this here - Use your own player · Cloudflare Stream docs & Frequently asked questions about Cloudflare Stream · Cloudflare Stream docs

4. I believe the maximum upload size is 30GB - Frequently asked questions about Cloudflare Stream · Cloudflare Stream docs

Hope this helps!

1 Like