Caching on site with just 400 visitors per day

Hi,

I pay about $1000-$2000 per month for visitors from google search.

Of course, I want to be sure they see my landing page before they press back, i.e. I really want a fast site. The content of the site is static html, generated from a wordpress site. Updates are never urgent, i.e. if the site shows 1 day old content is not a problem.

Most of the visitors are in US, EU and Oceania. My origin server is in Germany. Only having a single server in either US or Europe is not good enough, the Atlantic is too big :slight_smile:

It seems that cloudflare is not intended for small sites like this. In reality, the pages are never cached, i.e. cloudflare always has to download them from the origin.

Suggestions? I am thinking of just have 3 servers myself, one in US, the current in Germany, and Singapore, and then using GeoDNS instead.

0 Likes

Using page rules you can define which patterns of URL you wanna serve from cache as described here.

If you are looking for cache everything solution with a single click, it is not that easy it looks in first glance (what if contents delivered to logged-in users are supplied from cache?). Here is a related thread.

0 Likes

you can always full cache them in your server
in the worst case scenario when cf make request to your server it will only add something like 100ms

0 Likes

You can also try pre-warming up the CF cache for low traffic sites Warming Up Cache Geographically Using Webpagetest :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is what I have today. Everything cached by nginx with long expiry. However, 100ms is a lot, remember that since browser only load few resources a time, it adds to a second at least. And, if we anyway do that, what is the purpose of the cloudfront http-proxy

0 Likes

I already have warming up geographically, I have a server in US, EU and Singapore just for that. However, it seems that cloudfront is so distributed in US, so that the likelyhood a US person benefits from another US person already visting the site is very low.

I think this is the core of the problem. Having many sites inside US is a good thing for a large scale site, but useless for a small site like mine. I would prefer one or maybe 2 US locations.

0 Likes

I have created cloudfront rules so that it also caches to top static html page.

0 Likes

This may be a good use case for Argo and it’s Tiered Caching. It improves Cloudflare <-> Server connection speed and manages a Tiered Caching per macro area. It costs 0.10$/GB, but I see improvements on way more distributed websites than a single server.

Maybe adding a couple of servers distributed between EU and US and then traffic split using using DNS geo-routing may also help.

0 Likes

Yes, I think DNS geo-routing is most likely a better solution. I do not even need Cloudflares caching. It seems to me that cloudflare doesn’t support geo-routing?

0 Likes

It’s in the Load Balancing offering.

0 Likes