Cache with no-cache headers

From my understanding, if I set no-cache header to static JS files in my origin server response, Cloudflare should cache these files but use caches only after successful revalidation with origin server.
However, after this “no-cache” header is set, all requests shows that “cf-cache-status: MISS”. I have nginx that add weak etag to all files.

I am not sure if I missed any other headers here. How should the setup be if I want Cloudflare to use cached static files after revalidate.

Here is an example response header that I got:

accept-ranges: bytes
cache-control: no-cache
cf-cache-status: MISS
cf-ray: 4e12d01facae21d8-EWR
content-encoding: gzip
content-length: 867
content-type: application/x-javascript
date: Mon, 03 Jun 2019 15:48:44 GMT
etag: W/"5cf53771-6e1"
expect-ct: max-age=604800, report-uri="https://report-uri.Cloudflare.com/cdn-cgi/beacon/expect-ct"
last-modified: Mon, 03 Jun 2019 15:06:25 GMT
server: Cloudflare
vary: Accept-Encoding
1 Like

If you are setting the Cache-Control header on your origin, you want to set its to:

Cache-Control: public, no-cache, proxy-revalidate
or
Cache-Control: public, s-maxage=0

More detail available here:
https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003206852-Origin-Cache-Control

4 Likes

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply. I just realized that public directive is the one that allows any intermediate caches, like Cloudflare to cache a file.
I am a little bit confused about proxy-revalidate directive. From the description of the no-cache directive, it already specifies that response MUST NOT be used to satisfy a subsequent request without successful validation on the origin server. Why do we also need proxy-revalidate directive?

Best!

I’m guessing, but with only “no-cache” you have not told Cloudflare to cache the file at all, so MISS. no-cache applies to the Client cache as well, and you explicitly want CF to revalidate, and the client to not cache.

I read the description of must-revalidate and proxy-revalidate in RFC again. Seems, must-revalidate and proxy-revalidate only works for stale assets. While no-cache directive works for the ones that doesn’t have a max-age specified.
I think public and no-cache is enough for my case.
Thanks for your help!

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.