Cache Reserve Usage Not Increasing, Started Happening When I Changed the Payment Information

Back in February I changed my credit card and forgot to update it in the Cloudflare Dashboard. I didn’t notice Cloudflare’s email notifications and on Feb 22 the products I was using were disabled.

I then set up my new credit card, then re-enabled the products (including Cache Reserve). Before the products were disabled Cache Reserve seemed to be working as it should, and it would show me the usage in the dashboard (under Caching > Cache Reserve), but since I updated my payment info and re-enabled it it’s been stuck at zero usage, even if I get monthly invoices stating that Cache Reserve has actually been used.

I tried googling around and searching on this forum, but couldn’t find anyone that reported such an issue before.

This is how the Cache Reserve page looks for me since Feb 22:
Current data stored: 0 B
Aggregate storage usage: 0 B-days
Read operations: 0
Write operations: 0

What is the domain?

@cloonan the domain is: ratingposterdb.com

Thank you, can you try to clear your browser cache and cookies, then log back into your Cloudflare Dashboard to see if the issue persists? You should also try accessing your Cloudflare Dashboard using a different browser or an incognito/private browsing mode to eliminate any caching issues on your browser’s end. Let us know if this helps. Sorry for the issue you’re facing.

@cloonan The issue persists in incognito mode also.

Something else that I noticed, although I could be wrong about this, but before the issue started the Cache Reserve usage would also be subtracted from the actual usage (shown on the Overview page for the domain), which makes sense because CDN egress should not be metered when using Cache Reserve. (as far as I understand it)

But since the issue started it no longer seems to do that either, all caching data and usage seems to be visible on the Overview page, while the Cache Reserve page always shows no usage. (although, as stated before, I do receive monthly invoices for Cache Reserve usage)

It’s been 11 days since your last reply, any other ideas or is anyone looking into this issue? I am still not seeing any traffic recorded for Cache Reserve.

@cloonan following up on our previous discussion, i still have no details of cache reserve usage in the Cloudflare dashboard, although it is clearly being used

any help would be appreciated

It has been over a year since Cache Reserve stopped working for my account. In February 2023 my debit card expired and I had to change the payment method for Cloudflare. Since then, Cache Reserve does almost nothing, even now it says that the data stored is just 212.46 kB, and I have no write costs at all.

I have created another issue about this last year when it started happening: Cache Reserve Usage Not Increasing, Started Happening When I Changed the Payment Information

I got an initial (unhelpful and absolutely ridiculous) response, after which I was completely ignored.

Given the complete absence of assistance / support on this matter, I announce my intention of writing a new topic every single week until someone from the support or technical team will actually attempt to help.

I empathize, I have the same problem.

(I had just found your earlier post and saw this new post from 7 hours ago, weird coincidence!)

Hi @jaruba_dev, would there be specific assets that you’re expecting Cache Reserve to work for?

There are certain conditions that an asset should meet to be eligible for Cache Reserve

Specifically in your case, I believe this condition is not met where the assets are not cached for at least 10 hours.

Have a freshness time-to-live (TTL) of at least 10 hours (set by any means such as Cache-Control / CDN-Cache-Control origin response headers, Edge Cache TTL, Cache TTL By Status, or Cache Rules),

Another thing that was observed is that I’m constantly getting REVALIDATED status from some assets. This may suggest that the Cache-Control directives is configured to prevent Cloudflare from caching it.

Cloudflare does not cache the resource when:

• The Cache-Control header is set to private, no-store, no-cache, or max-age=0.

I’ll suggest adding a Page or Cache Rule to Edge TTL for the assets that you wish to utilise Cache Reserve for and monitor if this works.

1 Like

@andre-cloudflare
This is not the case, all assets have cache headers set to public and to at least a few days, here is an example cache header from a response:

Cache-Control:
public, max-age=604800, stale-while-revalidate=2592000, stale-if-error=7776000

There is also a content-length header, as I read somewhere that this is needed:

Content-Length: 128621

Each asset can be around 120kb - 145kb, Cache Reserve worked fine with these same assets prior to changing the payment method in February 2023.

I have went through all the “eligible for Cache Reserve” and “eligible for Cloudflare Cache” articles I could find, there should be no reason for these assets to not be cached unless there is some unwritten rule.

I really doubt that there is anything wrong on my side, because it stopped working in the exact day that the service was disabled due to the expired debit card, and it never worked again (even after a year) after changing the payment method and enabling Tiered Cache and Cache Reserve again.

@andre-cloudflare @cloonan So I’m back to being ignored again? I see that my last comment was also deleted by moderators (the comment was literally just 3 dots hinting to a lack of response from support)

I have also been receiving monthly bills for the past year for cache reserve usage while cache reserve is seemingly not working at all

I don’t believe that users should plead for assistance, and I don’t believe that product malfunction should be ignored, more so paying users should definitely not be ignored for more than a year when they receive bills for non-working products

I have yet to see any real attempt at solutioning / investigating this issue, yet I have seen many attempts at ignoring a user that is clearly in need

I was initially very excited when cache reserve was released, but it has now turned into a recurring nightmare

Given all this, I will continue by documenting my experience, which includes (but is not limited to) taking full-page screenshots whenever a new comment is posted on one of my topics and archiving all relevant invoices

Hey there,

Taking a look at the headers being sent from your origin for the images at the domain ratingposterdb.com , I get the following response:

< Cache-Control: public, max-age=0, must-revalidate
< Server: Surge
< Surge-Cache: HIT

Due to the Cache-Control: max-age=0 header, Cloudflare is not caching your assets as mentioned in Default Cache Behavior · Cloudflare Cache (CDN) docs. The relevant excerpt would be the following:

Cloudflare does not cache the resource when:
The Cache-Control header is set to private, no-store, no-cache, or max-age=0.
The Set-Cookie header exists.

Additionally, I’m able to see that you are currently using a secondary Cache service, based on the headers I received with the request going to your origin. So while you might be sending the correct headers from your origin, it’s possible that the external cache service you are using is attaching the Cache-Control: max-age=0 header, resulting in Cache Reserve not caching your images.

In order to check the headers being sent by the origin server, bypassing Cloudflare, there are multiple ways to do this.

The simplest method would be to temporarily unproxy the DNS record you want to check or pause Cloudflare and see the headers being returned once the proxy is disabled.

Another way to do this, without unproxying your DNS records, is by using the following curl command on a terminal:

curl https://example.com --connect-to ::[ORIGIN IP] -svo /dev/null

If this command is run successfully, you should no longer see < server: cloudflare and instead see the origin server respond, confirming that Cloudflare is being bypassed by the curl command.

1 Like

hi @micky thank you for answering, i hope you will stay along for the ride

the Surge responses are of no interest to me at all, it is a static site and i really don’t care if it is cached or not

the image responses is what are not being copied to Cache Reserve at all, here are the headers:

{
   "accept-ranges":"bytes",
   "access-control-allow-origin":"*",
   "cache-control":"public, max-age=604800, stale-while-revalidate=2592000, stale-if-error=7776000",
   "connection":"keep-alive",
   "content-length":"62918",
   "content-type":"image/jpeg",
   "date":"Fri, 08 Mar 2024 19:19:47 GMT",
   "last-modified":"Fri, 08 Mar 2024 19:19:47 GMT",
   "x-cache-level":"origin"
}

The assets are being cached with a cloudflare worker (and expected to be cloned to Cache Reserve), here is how i retrieved these headers:

console.log(JSON.stringify(Object.fromEntries(response.headers)))
ctx.waitUntil(cache.put(url, response.clone()));

Now, on Invoice CFUSA6310988 from the 17th of February, it says:

On the 21th of February I receive an email with: “We couldn’t process your renewal payment”.

On the 22th of February I receive 4 emails from Cloudflare titled “Changes to Your Cloudflare Subscription”, each disabling some service due to failure to pay, one of them said:

All of this happened because I changed my debit card and forgot to update Cloudflare, so I quickly went back to the platform, added my new debit card, paid all invoices, then re-enabled Tiered Cache and Cache Reserve. (this happened on the 22th of February)

On the 17th of March I got invoice CFUSA6525512:

I suspect that these 7,665 writes were done right until the service was canceled due to lack of payment, as from this invoice onward, i have never seen a single write on my invoices, even though Cache Reserve shows a mysterious 212.46 kB cached, which keeps getting reads, which i am seemingly paying for, yet nothing has been written to cache reserve ever again.

The headers of my assets are not the issue, the assets themselves are not the issue, i have checked everything twice and I read all the articles regarding to what qualifies as cacheable, the cf worker code related to this was never touched. When the account failed payment something broke on cloudflare’s side, maybe the ban on using cache reserve was never lifted, but I did re-enable it and tiered cache, yet it is not working at all.

@micky i guess you didn’t stay along for the ride… and another of my comments was removed that just pinged the support people in this thread and asked them to check my previous response for details…

this is absolutely ridiculous, but i will continue to take full page screenshots and document my horrible experience of over one year with cloudflare support, it will lead to an interesting blog post to say the least