Cache not purging

I’m testing performance of my website on GTMetrix and its showing an old version of my website with a photo that I deleted 2 days ago. I have deleted all caches on the website and on Cloudflare but to no avail. When I turn Cloudflare OFF the GTMetrix works fine. Then I turn Cloudflare back on and GTMetrix again shows an old cached version of my website. I have purged the caches a million times, not sure what else can be done to remove Cloudflare’s old cached copy of my website. This is not the first time I’ve had a caching issue with Cloudflare. Any help will be appreciated.

What’s the URL, and can you include a screenshot of the old content you’re seeing?

Check below. On the current website there is no photo at the top of the page.

There’s an x-proxy-cache (HIT) in the response header from GTMetrix. That’s coming from your server. And there’s no cf-cache-status header, which would be Cloudflare’s cache.

A global test of your site also shows the image. But not from my own browser when I visit. The global test shows it’s not a Cloudflare cache issue, because Cloudflare datacenters have independent caches.
https://www.dotcom-tools.com/website-speed-test.aspx#B768620CF743416FA52586D5112894FE

When you say you “turn Cloudflare OFF”, how are you doing this?

Sorry I wasn’t clear. I meant I was using the option “Pause Cloudflare on Site”. When I paused the site, GTMetrix picked up the correct version. When I unpaused it, the photo reappeared.

In that case, DNS isn’t the problem. It doesn’t explain why GTMetrix gets an x-proxy-cache header, but my browser does not.

Can you disable your WordPress caching plugin? Or maybe that’s coming from a cache on your server. Are you running an NGINX cache?

I have disabled the wordpress caching plugin. I’m not aware of any caching on the server but I will check with the hosting provider.

1 Like

I talked to the hosting provider and they said they were caching the website in the background which comes into effect when there is a problem with the website. They said they found an issue with two different versions of php on the website which is why the cached version was being shown. I don’t know if this is correct or just an excuse but they cleared their cache and the problem resolved. Perhaps time to move to a better hosting provider.

1 Like

I’m glad it’s fixed, but that was sure weird that it wasn’t showing the same site to everybody.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.