Cache non proxied responces pointing to proxied Cloudlfare DNS records

The following is happening:

I have the customer A who setups his domain (let’s assume customer-a.com) to point to mine Cloudflare domain.
His domain, which has nothing to do with Cloudflare, points to customer-a.cached-host.mydomain.net.
The let’s assume mydomain.net Cloudlfare record is the following:
RECORD: A | *.cached-host.mydomain.net | 100.100.100.100 | Proxied
I have setup the Cache Rules to cache every SSL enabled request.
So I was expecting the responces to be cached, although are not and the header is DYNAMIC, which still means that the actual requests are served by Cloudflare, but not cached. How can I fix that? Is it possible to have those responces cached, or does the customer has to migrate all his DNS stuff to Cloudflare?

It looks like it should work as long as their origin are following the document here to make it a cacheable resource:

Can you share a resource that is getting marked as dynamic that you think should be getting cached?

1 Like

Yes here is the resource: https://test.denfeed.net/

and the responce header is the following

alt-svc: h3=":443"; ma=86400, h3-29=":443"; ma=86400
cache-control: public,max-age=259200
cf-cache-status: DYNAMIC
cf-ray: 7b66e915cf3f0472-FRA
content-encoding: br
content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8
date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 23:11:45 GMT
nel: {"success_fraction":0,"report_to":"cf-nel","max_age":604800}
report-to: {"endpoints":[{"url":"https:\/\/a.nel.cloudflare.com\/report\/v3?s=3l7hP9ifb%2BnaEUXd0%2FdQfR1lzcyjArKr9L2TB7gr40BRvcGu4eV6IVj7EjVNI488mX9vcUrYQpVFvSwu3n0VPOTcT4WXV6eAHQ2NfMCMLrlgtjsVlMLL7mt3rCyJ6p9kAPWyyeTKb5INpIcfmR6y"}],"group":"cf-nel","max_age":604800}
server: cloudflare
vary: Accept-Encoding

the test.denfeed.net points to a proxied DNS record, with cache rule to cache any domain ending with “.net” , “.com”.

You will need to have a cache everything rule at ‘denfeed.net’ to be able to cache HTML as Cloudflare does not automatically do that.
Without creating a Cache Everything Page Rule, dynamic assets are never cached even if a public Cache-Control header is returned

You can follow the guide here:

2 Likes

And what if denfeed.net wasn’t a domain using Cloudflare, but a domain using other service provider?

While it’s not entirely clear what you are attempting to accomplish, it sounds like you should probably be using Cloudflare for SaaS.

3 Likes

I can confirm that by using the SaaS solution, all domains that point to the fallback proxy domain record, are cached. So thanks for the clarification.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.