Cache issue involving 404 + `UPDATING` status in some images

Greetings.

I am not direct user of Cloudflare CDN services, but I’m part of a community in a Discord server that’s having issues with them, so I thought coming here for some insight could be wise.

Our server, Python Discord, changes its icon once a day automatically. When we do this, sometimes we have an issue that some (but not most) users report: the new icon won’t load, unless the electron client/browser cache is cleared. We don’t have the means to get too deep into this, but we checked the response headers, so maybe someone could have some idea of what’s going on. This is a screenshot one of our members took:

Then these are the headers after using CURL/after clearing cache.

HTTP/2 200
date: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 00:20:50 GMT
content-type: image/webp
content-length: 1078
set-cookie: __cfduid=deaf785bbff7ff462768e5cdac57729211579738850; expires=Sat, 22-Feb-20 00:20:50 GMT; path=/; domain=.discordapp.com; HttpOnly; SameSite=Lax
expires: Fri, 22 Jan 2021 00:20:50 GMT
last-modified: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 00:01:24 GMT
cache-control: public, max-age=31536000
access-control-allow-origin: *
x-discord-image-proxy-cache: HIT
cf-cache-status: HIT
accept-ranges: bytes
expect-ct: max-age=604800, report-uri="https://report-uri.cloudflare.com/cdn-cgi/beacon/expect-ct"
x-robots-tag: noindex, nofollow, noarchive, nocache, noimageindex, noodp
server: cloudflare
cf-ray: 55959aa78a88f0c9-IAD

I find rather odd that the status for the 404 one includes the cf-cache-status: UPDATING, which is described as “the content was served […]”, but I don’t really have the experience to tell what’s really going on here. We’ll be grateful for any ideas that would explain why this is happening, and maybe what Discord should do to solve it.

Hi @perezalcoleam, thanks for stopping by. You could suggest they setup a page rule to not cache the logo. Lots of #Tutorials and posts on the how here. Let us know how it works out.

1 Like