Cache is not serving from closest location to users

My visitors are mostly from Bangladesh, Even i am from bangladesh. I noticed that cloudflare do have Servers in bangladesh but not using it for my website. I phurchased agro and test it, Cache are coming from SINGAPORE instead of bangladesh.

Thats how I tested - /cdn-cgi/trace

Now my question is If I phurchase Pro plans is it possible to get the cache from BD location or NOT or it will serve cache from SG servers only?

Is it possible to manually select the colocation? IS there any way in cloudflare to do that?

Cloudflare runs an Anycast Network: https://www.cloudflare.com/en-gb/learning/cdn/glossary/anycast-network/
Routing is complex, and it isn’t just about closest geolocation, but also about traffic management (where is capacity), peering/transit agreements (money, espec with some Indian ISPs, my understanding is they’ve been trying to force others to pay for peering), among other factors.

You bought and have Argo Smart Routing active? It doesn’t seem to be active on that site.

There is never any guarantees for which Colos you will be routed to/available to you besides for the Enterprise plan. Traffic is shifted based on capacity, among other factors.
That being said, Argo Smart Routing has pretty good inbound routing, I don’t believe Pro or Business would benefit you in regards to inbound routing if you have Smart Routing on.

There’s a blog post here on how Cloudflare shifts traffic that goes into a bit of detail on some of it: How Cloudflare’s systems dynamically route traffic across the globe

No.

1 Like

I attempted to use both Argo and Apo, but I consistently failed to get cached content from the Bangladesh server. I believe your assessment is accurate. It appears that Cloudflare’s cost-cutting measures might be the root cause of this problem. It seems they prioritize serving content from the Singapore server because it is more cost-effective than the Bangladesh server.

While cost considerations are understandable, prioritizing Singapore servers over local caching in Bangladesh might negatively impact user experience for Bangladeshi audiences. I’ve encountered issues with APO not triggering Bangladesh edge caching, which could significantly increase latency for local users.

Anyway Thanks for the clear answer.

It isn’t Cloudflare, but your own ISP, Bangladesh Telecommunications that you need to point your fingers at.

Bangladesh Telecommunications claims to have access to public interconnection facilities for peering, in the following countries/areas:

• Mumbai, India - 10 Gbps
  • Amsterdam, Netherlands - 10 Gbps
  • Singapore - 100 Gbps
  • London, United Kingdom - 10 Gbps

Bangladesh Telecommunications in addition to that, claims to also have access to private interconnection facilities, for peering, in the following countries:

• Germany
  • Hong Kong
  • India
  • Russia
  • Singapore

When Bangladesh Telecommunications is not available in any way, for interconnection within their own country, there are no ways of passing traffic between their network (and Cloudflare) “locally”.

In order for traffic to pass through directly, one or more mutual interconnection points where both networks are available at, will be required.

As Bangladesh Telecommunications claims the capacity is 100 Gbps, or, 10 times as much, than the other public facilities they are available on, Bangladesh Telecommunications will likely prioritize as much traffic as possible, to go through these Singapore links.

In the event where Cloudflare and Bangladesh Telecommunications would not be directly interconnecting with each other, the traffic would move around to be depending each network’s upstreams (transit providers).

In a such be the upstreams (transit providers) of each network and their interconnections that will take effect, including the eventual good or bad decisions of these upstreams (transit providers).

It looks like Cloudflare and Bangladesh Telegraph & Telephone Board have some sort of connection between their networks, but such are depending on mutual facilities as mentioned above.

Based on what I can see, it looks like the only mutual facilities are the public route servers, where Bangladesh Telecommunications claims to have 10 times as much capacity in Singapore, compared to what they do in India, Netherlands and United Kingdom.

As such, it would make most sense, for Bangladesh Telecommunications’s own traffic management and prioritization, given their extended capacity, to move the traffic out over Singapore, which is then causing what you see.

In addition to that, I can add that it appears that Bangladesh Telecommunications is a downstream (customer) of Bharti Airtel, a network which is known to route traffic from India to Germany or United Kingdom, which would be even further away.

It hurts my Internet feelings every time I see stuff like this, customers like you, being trapped by such things as your own provider’s abuse of their likely dominant positions, as well as these provider’s reluctance to do what’s best for the Internet.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.