Hello, I would like to report a strange behavior:
I am running two computers on the same network:
- Computer A is connected to the internet through a VPN.
- Computer B connected to the internet without using a VPN.
On both computers:
- stop any DNS proxy/resolver (no DNS queries are available)
watch -n 0.1 'dig -4 TXT whoami.cloudflare.com @188.8.131.52'
- On computer A, ip address returned is sometimes his ip and sometimes computer B ip (VPN ip).
- On computer B, ip address returned is sometimes his ip and sometimes computer A ip.
Computer B never had any access to the VPN.
Using another whoami service:
watch -n 0.1 'dig -4 ANY myip.opendns.com @184.108.40.206'
Opendns is always returning the ip address corresponding to the computer.
I’m not a DNS expert therefore I cannot explain this behavior but it seems whoami.cloudflare.com is messing with DNS queries.