Brotli Not Working on Wordpress Testing

I have Brotli turned on under the Speed tab on CloudFlare but after I run a check of my site on this Brotli testing tool I found online https://tools.keycdn.com/brotli-test I am seeing the the results of the test show my site not having Brotli. Any opinions on what I should do through my cPanel, WordPress admin or server side? By the way I am on managed hosting through SiteGround if that helps with figuring things out.

Thanks.

Could you post your website?

Thanks for replying. Here is one of the domains I am using: https://restorehairdoctor.com/ but just as a heads up I am also trying this whole Brotli thing on several other domains as well and after doing everything I thought I needed to do in order to turn on Brotli from the CloudFlare planel/dashboard all the sites show up as not having Brotli turned on when I run that test I mentioned.

:wave: @Aces,

restorehairdoctor.com/ does not point to Cloudflare, so Cloudflare features would not be in play.

-OG

Oh wow. Just curious how were you able to find out that my domain I provided is not pointing to CloudFlare? Just would like to know for future purposes so that I can learn how to do this. Ok so I see you mention that after your analysis that you determined my domain is not pointing to CloudFlare but when I check my CloudFlare on the dashboard and click on Speed and scroll down to see if the Brotli feature is turned on I see that it is turned on and when I go onto my cPanel on SiteGround and click on CloudFlare I also see that CloudFlare is turned on. Any ideas of things I can do to ensure that CloudFlare is turned on properly and to ensure the my domain is being pointed to CloudFlare? By the way my site is a WordPress site.

1 Like

Hi,

Your site is pointing your nameserver to
Name Server: NS1.USM89.SITEGROUND.BIZ
Name Server: NS2.USM89.SITEGROUND.BIZ

It should first point to cloudflare nameservers.

Thanks for the reply. I want to ask you the same questions I asked the user by the username of OliverGrant.

The questions I have are:

Just curious how were you able to find out that my domain I provided is not pointing to CloudFlare? Just would like to know for future purposes so that I can learn how to do this. Ok so I see you mention that after your analysis that you determined my domain is not pointing to CloudFlare but when I check my CloudFlare on the dashboard and click on Speed and scroll down to see if the Brotli feature is turned on I see that it is turned on and when I go onto my cPanel on SiteGround and click on CloudFlare I also see that CloudFlare is turned on. Any ideas of things I can do to ensure that CloudFlare is turned on properly and to ensure the my domain is being pointed to CloudFlare? By the way my site is a WordPress site.

:wave: @Aces,

dig restorehairdoctor.com.
restorehairdoctor.com.	14399	IN	A	185.56.85.148

That IP address is not a Cloudflare IP. Confirmed by using curl to view the headers (can also be done using developer tools in Chrome).

curl -Ikv https://restorehairdoctor.com/
*   Trying 185.56.85.148...
* TCP_NODELAY set
* Connected to restorehairdoctor.com (185.56.85.148) port 443 (#0)
* ALPN, offering h2
* ALPN, offering http/1.1
* Cipher selection: ALL:!EXPORT:!EXPORT40:!EXPORT56:!aNULL:!LOW:!RC4:@STRENGTH
* successfully set certificate verify locations:
*   CAfile: /usr/local/etc/openssl/cert.pem
  CApath: /usr/local/etc/openssl/certs
* TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS header, Certificate Status (22):
* TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS handshake, Client hello (1):
* TLSv1.2 (IN), TLS handshake, Server hello (2):
* TLSv1.2 (IN), TLS handshake, Certificate (11):
* TLSv1.2 (IN), TLS handshake, Server key exchange (12):
* TLSv1.2 (IN), TLS handshake, Server finished (14):
* TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS handshake, Client key exchange (16):
* TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS change cipher, Change cipher spec (1):
* TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS handshake, Finished (20):
* TLSv1.2 (IN), TLS change cipher, Change cipher spec (1):
* TLSv1.2 (IN), TLS handshake, Finished (20):
* SSL connection using TLSv1.2 / ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384
* ALPN, server accepted to use h2
* Server certificate:
*  subject: CN=restorehairdoctor.com
*  start date: Apr 25 04:01:10 2019 GMT
*  expire date: Jul 24 04:01:10 2019 GMT
*  issuer: C=US; O=Let's Encrypt; CN=Let's Encrypt Authority X3
*  SSL certificate verify ok.
* Using HTTP2, server supports multi-use
* Connection state changed (HTTP/2 confirmed)
* Copying HTTP/2 data in stream buffer to connection buffer after upgrade: len=0
* Using Stream ID: 1 (easy handle 0x7f8904804200)
> HEAD / HTTP/2
> Host: restorehairdoctor.com
> User-Agent: curl/7.61.1
> Accept: */*

No Cloudflare headers present. Your www does point to Cloudflare, but does an immediate 301 redirect to the root which is not on Cloudflare.

-OG

i will trying to help you out of this mess

Checked with: https://dnschecker.org/ns-lookup.php

i did a quick scan at restorehairdoctor.com

this is your Nameserver

NS ns1.usm89.siteground.biz
NS ns2.usm89.siteground.biz

so easy its all about change your
nameserver from

your own Nameserver right now
ns1.usm89.siteground.biz
ns2.usm89.siteground.biz

to
cloudflare Nameserver
ns3.cloudflare.com
ns4.cloudflare.com

so fix this problems as well and test if Brotli do work?
DNS Record not found
Blacklisted by BACKSCATTERER
No DMARC Record found
DMARC Quarantine/Reject policy not enabled

some extra infromation is

CDN specific changes to serve brotli files

If you are leveraging a CDN, chances are that despite the above configuration, brotli compressed files may not be served to your visitors. You may have to make additional changes depending on your CDN provider:

With Cloudflare, you can serve Brotli compressed files by just enabling it via UI (no web server side configuration required):

curl -H ‘Accept-Encoding: br’ -I yourown URL here
Verifying if your site is serving brotli files

Hi, @Aces,

It appears that you actually do have the correct DNS setup.

It happens that instead of having your DNS records point directly to Cloudflare, they point to Siteground, a hosting provider that partners with Cloudflare. This kind of partner setup is a different arrangement, and some details are given in this Siteground tutorial:

Any question related to support would be best brought up to Siteground Support, and they will likely be able to debug and fix your original brotli compression issue.

Alternatively, you may of course consider undoing the partner setup and connecting your site to Cloudflare directly, but you’d need to read about it and balance the pros and cons of such move, including the different pricing arrangements.

For example, you will not be able to use Railgun while on shared hosting at Siteground even if you have a Business Plan with Cloudflare, while you can use it on the more affordable Siteground Cloudflare Plus Plan.

1 Like

exactly the same thing as I said in another way