Blocking VPNs and Proxies

So I have seen many Cloudflare websites block out access to VPNs, proxies and people masking their connection.

I have a free plan, is it possible to block VPNs and Proxies with Cloudflare this way? Or can I use my .htaccess? How can this be done?

1 Like

what type of sites do you visit that you experience this ?

I know Xenforo forum sites have a paid addon which can block VPN/proxies for Cloudflare sites as it also makes use of GetIPIntel data https://getipintel.net/

IP Intelligence is a service that determines how likely an IP address is a proxy / VPN / bad IP using advanced mathematical and modern computing techniques

Detect bot, proxy, and VPN traffic to:

• Greatly reduce fraud on e-commerce sites (anti-fraud)
  • Protect your site from automated hacking attempts such as XSS, SQLi, brute force attacks, application scanning and many others.
  • Protect your site from crawlers that steal your content
  • Prevent users from abusing promotional offers / multiple sign-ups / affiliate abuse
  • Stop bots from scraping your content or bots spamming your website
  • Serve traffic / content to real users, not bots. Reduce fake views, clicks, and activity that results in click fraud and view fraud (anti-bot detection)
  • Prevent trolls / people that are trying to bypass a ban
  • Adjust your system to limit access (such as not allowing them to change their password, their email, etc) to prevent account hijacking.
  • Since the system returns a real value and there’s different flag options, you can customize the level of protection for a particular time frame and adjust accordingly.
  • Use it with a combination of another fraud prevention service to make it even better. Some fraud prevention services do not explicitly look for proxy / VPN / bad IPs.
1 Like

Well it has been about a month since i’ve seen it. I use a VPN regularly and my access was blocked due to my connection being on a VPN, said Cloudflare. I don’t recall the website name’s.

well I think it’s not Cloudflare that providing this feature but sites have deployed other measures ? or are you seeing a Cloudflare generated page blocking your VPN ?

I am def seeing a Cloudflare page blocking me out.

got an example screenshot of the page you see ?

Unfortunately no, like i said it was about a month ago and Now i’m having problems with vpn’s myself.

Those types of connections are grouped together as Tor. You can captcha the on a free plan, but Tor is treated as a country and would need a plan which supports Country blocking to truly block those hosts using Cloudflare.

1 Like

What you are proposing is not going to be as simple as it may seem. There are numerous free VPNs out there with rotating IP addresses that change daily. I personally use 3 different VPN/Proxy detection services in combination to detect VPN users, and still get people that slip through the cracks as nowadays there are private residential VPNs to get around these known lists.

CF most likely has a DB of known troublesome IP addresses and flags those, and depending on your security settings in the dashboard, it may outright block them or ask for a captcha challenge.

On the one hand there are legit uses for these VPNs, people who are concerned about their safety in repressive countries like China, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Turkey, et. al., on the other hand it gives a way for fraudsters to operate with impunity.

if you’re a webmaster, unless you have some specific problem with VPNs or proxies, there’s no reason to block them at this time. There are other means of mitigation against bad actors that don’t involve blocking many legitimate users and are much easier/cost effective to implement.

1 Like

That’s like saying there’s no reason for recaptcha on a form.

Anyways this problem has been solved, found elsewhere - all vpns, proxies and tor are now blocked.

That is statistically unlikely (and more than likely impossible)

1 Like

Well then if you have doubts, visit connectiontest.website or gatheringofmagic.com and try to create an account while proxied.

Works very well.

Yes it seems to. I think I need to twaek my Squid :sweat_smile:

connectiontest.website tripped when I tried it without a VPN, so that’s an automatic #fail.

Do you want the code i use?

It doesn’t just trip on VPN’s, Proxies and TOR it also trips on bad IPs

This is what i am using too!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.