Blacklisted IP - Don't understand why?

Our Email marketing campaign platform (Zoho Campaigns) have said that our domain/IP is blacklisted and are refusing to send emails.

They have said the following IP is blacklisted which it is - 188.114.96.0

They have said that our IP address is the following on DNS checker:
a. 104.21.23.13
b. 172.67.208.71
c. 188.114.97.2
d. 188.114.96.2
e. 188.114.97.5
f. 188.114.96.5
g. 188.114.96.14
h. 188.114.97.14

As you can see those in bold are very similar to the blacklisted IP. But when searched, are not blacklisted at all.

I don’t understand the technicalities of all this but why are they getting confused, and can you provide any context on this?

they are refusing to budge saying anything with that IP numbers is bad.

Any help would be most appreciated

I’m sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your email provider. The Cloudflare community cannot offer much help with a third-party vendor policy dispute. As much as the opportunity to explain IP lists and subnets appeals to me, none of it involves any Cloudflare services, which makes it off-topic for discussion here.

Have you asked for help in the Zoho Community? They have participants who are good at explaining their abuse policy in plain language after someone else posts jargon-laden boilerplate. If your conservation there results in specific questions related to Cloudflare, this forum is good place to return and ask us.

Thanks for the reply. I may have not explained myself very clearly. They are saying we are on Spamhaus lists. Our exact IP and domain isnt but we obviously share a similar IP with nasty domains on cloudlfare.

I am not really sure what to do because Zoho are saying i need to speak to Cloudflare who you cannot speak to.

I dont understand how IPs work. The ones that have been blacklisted are very similar to ours but we are getting dragged into the mess.

While it is technically out of scope for the Cloudflare Community forums, I can offer you an analogy that might help you understand the situation a little better.

Think of a server as an office building. The IP address is similar to the street address. Your address may be 192.0.2.75. Just like addresses have blocks, such as the 1500 block which is commonly found between 15th and 16th Street, networks have blocks. 192.0.2.75 is part of the 192.0.2.0/24 block.

Spamhaus publish lists that express their opinion of certain blocks. They publish their listing criteria, but I will offer some additional insight. Suppose one of the offices in one of the buildings on your street is home to a criminal gang. When Spamhaus uncovers evidence of that activity, they add that address to their list. There may be other offices in the building at the same address, but that is outside the scope of their listing criteria. When the building management doesn’t take any action against the crime ring operating in that building, Spamhaus expands their listing to include the whole street, and may even escalate to include an entire section of town.

Things become a little more abstract when you introduce Cloudflare into the equation. The published address is no longer one specific building Cloudflare, but is instead a teleportation portal that can whisk you to any building in the world. While Cloudflare doesn’t own the building that Spamhaus is concerned about, the Cloudflare address is the only one presented to the world when anyone asks where to find that building, making it the one that Spamhaus includes in their list. Most people that understand what Cloudflare is and how it works would likely not take the same stance that Zoho is. It is similar to blocking all email from any Google or Microsoft server just because spammers abuse those services to send junk email.

The age old saying “their network, their rules” applies here, though. If Zoho prefers to turn away customers that protect their sites with the Cloudflare WAF proxy, it is their prerogative. I have seen this scenario for over twenty years. If Zoho’s policy is immutable, you will likely need to choose between using Cloudflare and using Zoho Campaigns. I would choose Cloudflare because I find it provides a more unique value, but it is a decision that only you can make. None of this is the fault of Cloudflare, Zoho, Spamhaus, or even you. The only party to blame here is the professional network abusers that don’t care about their actions ruining things for others.

I hope my explanation has help make this easier to understand, and I wish you the best in finding a satisfactory resolution.

1 Like

Many thanks for you explanation, it makes perfect sense. As with anything that goes wrong with a small business, it always happens at a time that is extremely busy. I could really do without this problem and Zoho are an absolute pain to work with. Moving everything to a new email provider is going to be so much work.

Do you know if Cloudflare attempt to resolve these issues?

It is the result of third-party policy decisions that Cloudflare does not control or influence. There is not really anything that Cloudflare can do about it.

I understand the difficulty. If you have the budget for it, hiring an outside firm with the relevant expertise can make the process a lot less painful.

I have another question about Cloudflare IP
So when you put our domain into DNS Checker the majority of results are two IPs. However there are4 problematic IPs as i listed above.

We have another Domain for another site and this has only one IP.

My quesiton is. Why is one site on multiple IPs and the other not?

Thanks
Alex

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.