Awstats tool on web server to see trafic : almost no more visitor

Hello,

I try desperatly to find the statistics about visitors that I had with Awstats tool before transferring the DNS of my server web on Cloudflare.

Unfortunately, the number of visitors per day given by awstats is very small compared to the visitors indicated on my Clouflare account.

However, I have followed all the procedure to restore IP visitors.

My problem with restoring visitor IPs still persists.
I remind you that I use the Awstats tool on my Web server which analyzes
the .log files (typically /var/log/apache2/access.log) but I have
the impression that Clouflare does not transfer all visitors to my
site “https://myserver.com”. Indeed, I had about 300 visitors
daily before Cloudflare, and now less than 10 visitors with the analysis of the Awstats tool.

I therefore asked Clouflare once again to correct this problem upstream on
Clouflare but nothing has been done.

I followed the procedure to generate the Clouflare module for Apache2 (compilation done,
loading in my server done) but the problem persists: almost no visit is
transferred.

Could anyone help me to solve this problem which is really troublesome and I
begins to despair of being able to fix it.

Regards

ps : for the moment, I don’t want to give the URL of my web server. Is it possible in private ?

The numbers on Cloudflare are not necessarily relevant, as these include also all blocked requests from automated services. The question is, do you have significantly fewer visitors now than before?

Not really. You could run a test with the domain at sitemeer.com and post the exact time when you ran it.

Thanks for your quick answer. Indeed, I have significantly fewer visitors now than before.

In attachment the results of sitemeer.com.

What is/are the cause(s) of this decreasing number of visitors with Awstats since I am using Clouflare ?

At what time did you run the test?

Also check your Cloudflare event log and if there are any requests blocked which shouldn’t be blocked.

But it seems to load fine overall.

In case you are using cache everything. Most user never reach your origin server. They get served via cloudflare edge location. If user do not reach your origin server, there is no log created. AWSTAT workings on apache logs. Hence AWSTAT might be showing less no of users.

Your screenshot says 2:18pm. At that time there was one .org domain which is on Cloudflare and which starts with a “d”. Is that your domain?

If it is, then it seems it really is loading just fine and I’d start with Cloudflare’s firewall log first.

@sandro, you’re rigth for the name of server.

On which forum category have I to post for this issue ? (you told me : “I’d start with Cloudflare’s firewall log first.”).

Regards

I am not sure what you mean by that question.

Check out the firewall event log in your dashboard and whether there are any requests blocked.

ok, thanks. I have locked all requests coming from ukrainia, russia and china. Do you think these rules are reasonable ? or is it too much strict ?

These countries are known to be unsafe, am I wrong ?

You could answer me that with a simple VPN, hackers can easily circumvent these rules.

There’s a lot of malicious traffic that comes from those countries. If you don’t mind not having legitimate visitors from those countries, then go ahead and block them.

They could, but that’s generally more effort than they’re willing to put out. It’s usually bots, and those don’t use VPNs.

How to disable this cache or prevent to create it ? I want that users could reach my website.

Regards

Not necessarily. There is a lot of automated traffic coming from there, but also legitimate users.
But your question was about missing traffic, not blocking traffic, right?

If you are absolutely sure you do not want to cater to these countries, you can block them.

Absolutely.

What is the difference? And keep in mind, before you might have counted all traffic which now is deliberately blocked.

So the main question still is, are there any requested listed as being blocked, which shouldn’t be blocked. If not, then your site is working fine. Generally there doesn’t seem to be any loading issue.

@sandro

Please, How to disable this cache or prevent to create it ? I want that all users could reach my website.

Regards

Why would you want to disable the cache in the first place?

Again, your site appears to be reachable for everyone.

I don’t want cache since user301 told me above :

In case you are using cache everything. Most user never reach your origin server. They get served via cloudflare edge location. If user do not reach your origin server, there is no log created. AWSTAT workings on apache logs. Hence AWSTAT might be showing less no of users.

So, I think if Clouflare creates this cache, I will miss visitors into my Awstats webserver tool, don’t I ?

For starters, that statement was not really accurate as you are not caching everything.

Secondly, even with the cache your site is reachable. That’s the whole point of it. Please familiarise yourself with Cloudflare before using it.

Third, there is no issue :wink:

I have seen today, up to now, more visitors in my Awstats statistics since I have cleaned the cache from dashboard : is there a link between this action of deletion and the number of visits that has increased ?

Regards

Clearing the cache won’t get higher number of visits as these are counted by resources which you do not cache in the first place. Only the overall requests would be lower and that is the whole point of Cloudflare.

I addressed the whole issue several times at this point and am not going to repeat myself once more. Please read what I already had to write a few times first.

You are not very cooperative : what do you do about the message of user 301 : he told me “in case you are using cache everything” : what does he mean by “cache everyting” ?

Sorry to not be an expert, this is my first post here.