Attempting to migrate website to a new domain using existing records - getting "DNS points to prohibited IP"

Hi all,

I’ve been asked to change the domain of an existing website to a new domain due to a company name change - so for example, the records for company1.com will moved to company2.com - with company1.com redirecting to company2.com

At first I thought this would be a simple change from the DNS point of view, simply add the existing A and AAAA records from the current site into the new domain and it should work great, unfortunately that hasn’t been the case so far.

It turns out that both the A and AAAA records of the current site are all Cloudflare IPs, and when I try to add them to the new suite and browse to it, I get “DNS points to prohibited IP”.

I’ll admit I’m not an expert on DNS and don’t understand how these IPs are pointing to the actual hosting server if they are all Cloudflare IPs.

The current ask is to have both the current domain and the new domain online and active at the same time for testing.

Could you please take a look at the screenshot below and let me know the best way I can move this website over to a new domain?

Thanks

Who hosts your website? If they are not using Cloudflare then I’d guess the 209.x.x.x IP you’ve masked is the IP address where your site is hosted. Check with your host to be sure.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.