Argo VS proxy route

Hi,
My origin server is located in India. My visitors are from Bangladesh. When I route traffic with the Argo tunnel, the tunnel connects with Singapore & Japan. Visitors most of the time connect to Dhaka, Bangladesh colo(Visitors from Bangladesh). In this case, the traffic is routing from India to Singapore/Japan > Dhaka CF colo to client.

Now if I use proxy only then the route will be Origin(India) > Dhaka CF colo > client. Am I right?

If you stop using Cloudflare Tunnel, then I expect that your visitors will continue to connect through Dhaka. It would be the same public IP addresses as before, so I don’t see why their routing would change.

With Argo, the origin is connecting through Singapore/Japan all the time. So if clients reach to Cloudflare Dhaka colo, the traffic is routing first from the origin(India) to Singapore/Japan then travel back to Dhaka.

Now without Argo, the client reach to Cloudflare Dhaka colo then Cloudflare connects the origin(India) from direct Dhaka colo. In this case, the packets don’t need to travel all the way to Singapore or Japan & came back to Dhaka. Distance between Dhaka to origin(India) very little compare to Singapore or Japan.

I meant the visitors’ routing to the edge node. What does on behind the scenes from your end shouldn’t affect their first connection.

Dynamic requests still can be slow though - even though the visitors hit the nearest edge node and established the connection, the requests still have to travel from that node to the data center which has the tunnel connection with the server.

2 Likes

Now I understand the question. That connection to the origin would be a mystery, except to Support. They’d have to traceroute the colo to origin connection. It might very well follow the same route as the tunnel, but I’d hope not.

2 Likes

Damn! I forgot to mention dynamic content in the first place.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.