Argo and RailGUN

railgun
argo

Hi,

Are the Argo and Railgun solutions complementary?

Is it smart to take both things at the same time?

If someone has already done so, I am an information taker.

Thank you!

I asked the same thing here: Argo and Railgun? Do you need both?

One two of my sites I do have both Argo & Railgun, and it seems to load things slightly faster…

Like on one site:
Average Response Time: 920ms w/ Argo, 1094 ms w/o Argo
% Improvement in last 48-hrs: 15.90%
% Smart Routed in last 48-hrs: 43.0%

On the other site (same exact host account):
Average Response Time: 386ms w/ Argo, 601 ms w/o Argo
% Improvement in last 48-hrs: 35.77%
% Smart Routed in last 48-hrs: 30.6%

So… it seems to have some improvement, but I don’t understand why as with Railgun, it should be a direct WAN connection to the host? Honestly, I think it would be better if Argo worked between the origin host, AS WELL AS to the requesting client.

The two features are complimentary. Railgun is to enable caching of dynamic content. Argo is for routing to the site visitor through our datacenters.

@ryan — that is not entirely how it is marketed, and why there are questions… because Railgun should already be optimizing the route between the two:

According to Cloudflare’s own site, "Railgun ensures that the connection between your origin server and the Cloudflare network is as fast as possible.

Railgun compresses previously uncacheable web objects up to 99.6% by leveraging techniques similar to those used in the compression of high-quality video. This results in an average 200% additional performance increase." Cite: https://www.cloudflare.com/website-optimization/railgun/

So… the question is WHY are there improvements when enabling Argo on a Railgun site, when Railgun is transferred over a direct WAN connection already (this route should already be optimized)? That’s the part that is not making any sense what-so-ever. While yes, Railgun goes a step further and is able to cache dynamic content… that’s not the part that is “um???”

Next… Argo — isn’t that also for optimizing between CloudFlare and the Origin? Or is it optimizing the route from the site VISITOR and CloudFlare? Or is that just the Argo Tunnel aspect that goes between CF and the Origin, and Argo is from Visitor-CF? Next… what is the Argo Tier 1 caching?

@ryan — Next, if a hosting provider already offers Railgun, can they also easily offer the Argo Tunnel in a cPanel setup?

@user329 - The Argo Smart Routing system will autonomously compute and deploy Smart Routes that it believes will improve performance, and then revoke those routes if it turns out that they do not improve performance. So if Railgun-direct-to-origin turns out to be faster than Smart Routing-plus-Railgun-to-origin then the system will self-correct and choose the fastest combination of features.

Not sure about the cPanel question. Probably depends on the partner.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.