Are there limits to the amount of traffic in the Free and Pro SKUs

I am recommending Cloudflare to a customer and would like some information I’m not finding anywhere on the site. They have a website that serves ~10M requests per day for a total of ~4TB of bytes outgoing. Bytes incoming are minimal. The customer would like to take advantage of caching 24x7, and possibly rate limiting during certain expected high-load situations. I have tested a test version of the site and confirmed that with a “Cache Everything” Page Rule that I am able to proxy through Cloudflare and cf-cache-status header reports some hits. So, I’m fairly confident Cloudflare will work, but am concerned about any possible hidden costs I’m not considering. Specifically:

• Are there any limits to the number of requests and total bytes proxied in any of the plans?
  • Are there any limits to the number of requests and total bytes cached in any of the plans?
  • In my math, rate limiting for 10M requests per day would cost ~$49.95 per day, assuming all 10M requests were not limited. Is this correct?

4TB per day is certainly going to raise some eyebrows. Terms of Service 2.8 limits the amount of non-HTML content you can serve.

But within those guidelines, there are no limits on hits or data, though I suspect this isn’t a good fit for that customer. But I could be wrong. Maybe it’s just a super incredibly popular website with regular HTML, images on pages, CSS, and JS. In which case, it’ll still raise some eyebrows, and they might ask you to move up to a paid plan

Thanks. Exactly what I was trying to find. “Use of the Services for serving video or a disproportionate percentage of pictures, audio files, or other non-HTML content is prohibited, unless purchased separately as part of a Paid Service” definitely gives me pause about recommending cloudflare free for this customer. Could I get clarification on the paid skus, though? Does 2.8 also apply to the Pro Sku, for example? This is video content, but it does not need the transcoding, etc. offered in the Streaming feature.

• to clarify, this is live video content, not video on demand.

2.8 applies to all “self service” subscriptions, so that would be Free, Pro, and Business. Not until you head into multi-thousand dollar Enterprise territory can you do more stuff like that.

It doesn’t distinguish between where the video is coming from. If it’s proxied by Cloudflare, it falls under 2.8.

Just to clarify, you can embed the video in your website, the plot twist is that you need to host it outside of a domain proxied by cloudflare.

For example, some of my customers have videos embedded in their sites, they use a subdomain that points to other CDNs that follow a pay-as-you-go model and care about the amount of bandwidth you serve rather than the content.

@jnperamo - understood, but in this case, the customer was looking to offload some of the video traffic to Cloudflare’s cache, as well as have a “one click” option to turn on rate limiting for the video traffic, should they need.

He can still cache those videos, just in another provider that follows a different approach to their “marketing” model.
Rate limit is a rather basic feature that I’m sure most vendors offer nowadays, I’d speak to different options and see which one suits you best.

Cloudflare do not offer a free video CDN. Video is essentially prohibited in all self-serve plans unless you are using Cloudflare Stream. The essentially bit will become strictly if you do any kind of volume. On Enterprise plans the terms are negotiated depending on the expected workload.

The free plan is:

ideal for people with personal or hobby projects that aren’t business-critical

Probably best to use the Product Recommendation tool to get an idea of the plan you should recommend to your client.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.