Archive.md suddenly throwing Error 1001 - How to access site?

Archive.md, a site we use often to archive articles, recently started throwing the following Cloudflare Error message. The site was always accessible without issue and is accessible to colleagues of ours in other locations. How can we get to the site?

Please enable cookies.

Error 1001 Ray ID: 59b0b2ccfd12f01d • 2020-05-29 13:52:53 UTC

DNS resolution error

What happened?

You’ve requested a page on a website (archive.md) that is on the Cloudflare network. Cloudflare is currently unable to resolve your requested domain (archive.md). There are two potential causes of this:

• Most likely: if the owner just signed up for Cloudflare it can take a few minutes for the website’s information to be distributed to our global network.
  • Less likely: something is wrong with this site’s configuration. Usually this happens when accounts have been signed up with a partner organization (e.g., a hosting provider) and the provider’s DNS fails.

Cloudflare Ray ID: 59b0b2ccfd12f01d • Performance & security by Cloudflare

It looks like they messed up their DNS. The archive.md people will have to fix that.

Thank you. Unfortunately no way to reach the site to let them know : (

I take it back. It’s something else. Are these the archive.is people? They’ve deliberately poisoned their DNS so it gives incorrect results through Cloudflare DNS.

That’s what I read. I’m not sure if the people running archive.is are also running archive.md. A shame because archive.md is a fantastic service. Can anyone suggest a way around this in the meantime?

Setting your secondary DNS provider to Google or another provider should allow you to resolve it, but yes archive.md is ran by the same operator as archive.is; they use multiple TLDs to prevent a single registrar or registry from being able to take down their entire service.

Thank you. Are there any downsides to setting Google as the secondary DNS provider? And would you have instructions for doing so in Firefox?