APO with other caching plugins (Wordpress)

I have reviewed

where it states:

with APO we can also cache dynamic content like HTML so the entire site is served from cache

Can someone tell me how this differs from my current setup of using a Page Rule “Cache everything” in conjunction with Automattic’s WP Super Cache (which generates static HTML files from Wordpress)?

Also what would happen if APO is used on a site that is actively using WP Super Cache?

APO won’t use the cache if your site has set a cookie for things like logged in users, commenters, or WooCommerce shoppers. It’s effectively like combining “Cache Everything” and then “Bypass Cache On Cookie(s)” (Business/Enterprise plan option).

I’d recommend against having a cache plugin tie into Cloudflare for cache purging if you already have the Cloudflare plugin that does the same thing. But it’s good to have a caching plugin do page caching so the site doesn’t have to generate page content for Cloudflare’s first (or return) visit to that page.

1 Like

APO won’t use the cache if your site has set a cookie for things like logged in users, commenters, or WooCommerce shoppers

This is also the behaviour with WP Super Cache which has the options:

• Enable caching for all visitors.
  • Disable caching for visitors who have a cookie set in their browser.
  • Disable caching for logged in visitors. (Recommended)

Currently my Wordpress sites only have logged in users that are admins. (Also have a page rule to bypass caching for /wp-admin that is first in order.)

I’d recommend against having a cache plugin tie into Cloudflare for cache purging if you already have the Cloudflare plugin that does the same thing. But it’s good to have a caching plugin do page caching so the site doesn’t have to generate page content for Cloudflare’s first (or return) visit to that page.

Sorry I had trouble following this. Can you explain that again maybe in different wording?

Currently I use WP Super Cache and CF and they each have their own caches that need clearing occasionally. I’ve created an internal tool which will purge WP Super Cache and then Purge CF’s cache via the API in a single click. I prefer this method since I’ve found that it seems to happen more quickly than by using the WP CF plugin’s cache clearing button.

I don’t think WP SuperCache has control over Cloudflare’s Edge Cache.

Both plugins (Cloudflare and WPSC) can Purge Cloudflare’s cache when the site is updated. You probably don’t want to double-purge, though it really won’t hurt anything to empty an already empty wastebasket (edge cache).

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.