APO breaks Google fonts

After activating APO, Google fonts aren’t displayed on some pages. A hard refresh fixes the problem.
I have purged cache, deactivate all caching on the origin server, to no avail.
Does anyone have advice? Would self-hosting the fonts fix the problem?

same here! it only breaks fonts on the first load though.

You’re correct - after a refresh, the fonts load. This is a bit of a dealbreaker for me, so I hope CF has a solution.

Not only does it seem to break fonts on first load, but it also doesn’t handle fonts with a font-weight correctly. For example:

<link href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css2?family=Roboto+Condensed:[email protected]&display=swap" rel="stylesheet">

Gets written into the page as the standard weight condensed font on Safari, and the non-condensed standard weight version of Roboto is displayed in Chrome.

2 Likes

Oh! you are so right! that’s the case for me, its not that we don’t see the fonts, its the weight that is broken!

Does anyone know if there is a fix for this, or if a fix is incoming from Cloudflare?

I have the same issues. The speed gains are amazing. However, if this is a “feature” instead of a bug, I will not be renewing.

Has anyone heard anything?

Edit: Per my host and Divi I enabled CORS in my .htacess file. Note, this did not work.

Hi everyone,

I have reproduced the problem in my test environment, it happens when the browser is unable to decode the font and cannot convert it from WOFF 2.0 to SFNT. You will see relevant errors in JS console log.

The issue is now escalated, we will let you know once there is an update.

5 Likes

@ncano, there also seems to be an issue when using other font-weights than 400. At https://togroundcontrol.com we are using Lora and font-weight 600 in the h1 header, but only font-weight 400 is included in the inline CSS.

Screenshot 2020-10-06 at 10.33.30

That is fixed now.

2 Likes

still see it on safari first load incognito.

1 Like

What’s the site you test with? Can I have a look?

Having the same issue as above - my site is www.sourcesome.com if it helps

1 Like

@sourcesome could you describe an issue in more details? browser you use, errors you see, steps you take etc.

thegadgetflow.com try incognito safari.

1 Like

Safari - I’m seeing the fonts on the site showing incorrectly. They’re supposed to be work sans.
When I bypass Cloudflare - I see the work sans font correctly. When I turn bypass off and go through Cloudflare, the incorrect font shows.

I don’t see any errors in the console.

1 Like

Same issue here, Safari incognito and several mobile browsers as well

www.overlando.com

As mentioned in my email to you, the issue is mostly fixed. However, our contact page is still showing the problem (even after purging the cache).

Looks like this is fixed for me. Thanks!

Unfortunately on my side it isn’t fixed yet