Analytics and privacy issue

Hi there,

While cloudlfare analytics does not use cookie and instead use tracker it raise more question about privacy than simply using cookie.

When using cookie I can provide the option for user to not accept cookie and all directions on how to delete those cookies. But with tracker that option is not available also I will not know or have any control over what other data Cloudflare might collect about the user to my website.

So my question is: can cloud-flare provide server analytics of a website without beacon? if no than why cloud-flare have not provided more clarity and a statement on the use of bacon that it will not use the bacon to track the website visitor on 3rd party websites. I see there is something shady going on with cloud-flare analytics and use of the beacon.

If cloud-flare want it can simply provide the analytics from the server directly but it want website owners to use beacon which allow cloud-flare to track users even when they are not a specific website.

If anyone have more detail or opinion on this please let me know as I think the use of beacon is not compliant with privacy regulations and is actually in breach of user privacy and provides no transparency to website owner or visitor leading to privacy complications :frowning:

Thanks

It’s more then just that:

Cloudflare Web Analytics does not use any client-side state, such as cookies or localStorage, to collect usage metrics. We also don’t “fingerprint” individuals via their IP address, User Agent string, or any other data for the purpose of displaying analytics.
https://www.cloudflare.com/web-analytics/

If your website is proxied sure, you have normal server-side analytics: A quick overview of Cloudflare Analytics · Cloudflare Analytics docs

Server-side analytics are limited though. Web Analytics can grab performance data from the browser to get information on load times, draw times, and other critical web measurements, and can work on any site, proxied or not.

Cloudflare Web Analytics does not collect or use your visitors’ personal data.
Web analytics · Cloudflare Analytics docs