Amazon AWS Subdomains with EC2 Instance and Elastic IP - Step by Step Setup Review and Help

Hi all,

I have spent the past 2 days reading and re-reading all the posts here that mention “sub-domain” and I confess that despite the quality of the answers, the information is too fragmented for me to put it together and apply to my case.

The steps below are the ones I followed to set up www.example-site.com with an EC2 Wordpress instance using an elastic IP and wiki.example-site.com with an EC2 TikiWiki instance using another elastic IP. Many thanks in advance for your kind guidance and corrections please:

1. I have set up a hosted zone for “www.example-site…com” in Route 53 and set up the non-www address “example-site…com” as an alias to it. (I prefer the www address to be the default). I allowed it to propagate and although the web browser would not allow me to enter using the domain name (using the IP was fine) due to a lack of a certificate, I could see that it was working fine.

2. I then registered “example-site…com” in Cloudflare and immediately I substituted the original Amazon nameservers with Cloudflares’ own nameservers in Amazon’s Route 53.

3. Perhaps in the wrong order, I then created an EC2 instance of WordPress by Bitnami and proceeded to create an elastic IP and assigned it to this Wordpress instance.

4. I went to Route 53 and changed the A record for “www.example-site…com” to the elastic IP assigned to the Wordpress EC2 instance. No other changes made.

5. I had several variations of the domain name, e.g. examplesite…com, example-site…org, and I created an S3 bucket for each domain name variation split between the “www” and “non-www” versions of these names (e.g.: a bucket called “www.example-site…org” and another bucket called “example-site…org”, etc…). No hosted zones were created for them. Each bucket’s properties > static hosting were set as “redirect” to “www.example-site…com” with the protocol (http/https) left in blank (is this correct?). DNS still not propagated and Cloudflare still waiting for the nameservers update.

6. Then I created a new EC2 instance of TikiWiki and got a new elastic IP which I assigned to this new instance.

7. I went back to Route 53 and created a new hosted zone for the Wiki sub-domain, wiki.example-site…com. Amazon created the nameservers and I added an “A” record with the elastic IP assigned to the TikiWiki EC2 instance.

8. Still in Route 53, I went into the records of hosted zone “example-site…com” and added a nameserver (NS) record named “wiki.example-site…com” copying the values of the nameservers Amazon assigned to hosted zone “wiki.example-site…com”. From here I don’t know how to proceed and need your patient help please.

9. I am still waiting for the Cloudflare’s nameservers to propagate as my TTL was set to 48 hours and just now I changed it to 5 mins, Once everything is set up, I will up it back to 24 hours.

Before I leave, I would like to register my immense admiration for the great service provided by Cloudflare and how they have made it so easy and visually pleasing. As a UX professional, CloudFlare became a case I will use to illustrate how a heavily technical service and product can still be pleasing and user-friendly.

Many thanks for your help!