Am I charged for Cloudflare Images if the image would otherwise be cached by CF caching rules?

Hi! Just looking for quick clarification of how pricing works for Cloudflare Images.

We currently serve about 4 billion images per month through Cloudflare. Due to caching rules (and the new tiered caching - awesome!), only about 10 million of those end up making origin requests.

If we were to start using Cloudflare Images, would we be looking at $40,000 a month, or $100?

1 Like

How many source images are there? That’s $5 per 100,000 images.

But I do think the 4 billion will be your downfall, as it’s priced by delivered images. I look at this as something similar to the Stream product. The files are hosted by Cloudflare, then sent on demand and charged per delivery.

2 Likes

The number of source images is comparatively negligible - maybe a couple hundred thousand.

If the relevant number here is 4 billion delivered images (as opposed to 10 million origin hits), then that makes it a bit less attractive unfortunately :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Late to the party but I figured I’d chime in here. The image is cached on the client’s browser, so if it sees it in the cache it won’t count as a delivered image but if has to grab it from CF in any way, even if its cached on the edge, it counts as a delivered image.

1 Like

Doesn’t matter if it’s cached on one client browser, a million other clients who also get a cached image from cloudflare still count against your total requests. This is bizarre as cache is free when routed through cloudflare DNS and your own servers regardless of hits or file sizes…

You can make a worker, wrap the images call, and have the worker send a cache-control header with public cache but this hackery shouldn’t be necessary - the pricing on per request including cache hits needs to be fixed before the images offering can compete with S3 and the like.