Added both A records and CNAME record to Cloudflare from WordPress site, not workin

What is the name of the domain?

hamiltoncreative.works

What is the error message?

ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

What is the issue you’re encountering

Site not loading, says redirecting too many times. I have a WordPress site hosted on a Cloudflare domain, I’ve gone through the setup instructions to add WordPress records (2 A records and a CNAME) to Cloudflare, but issue persists. Could it just need more time to all go through, or am I missing anything important? I am very much a beginner and DNS stuff is very new to me.

What steps have you taken to resolve the issue?

Added two A records and CNAME record to direct to Cloudflare domain

What feature, service or problem is this related to?

DNS records

What are the steps to reproduce the issue?

Trying to load site

Screenshot of the error

In the Cloudflare dashboard, under SSL/TLS, set the Encryption Mode to “Full (strict)”.

3 Likes

Thank you so much, that cleared it right up! Just out of curiosity, what exactly does changing that do? Any drawbacks in doing so? Thanks again.

In Flexible mode, Cloudflare contacts your origin server over plain (insecure) HTTP. Your server redirects HTTP to HTTPS. Since the request after the redirect will still go over HTTP, it creates an infinite redirect loop. Since redirecting HTTP to HTTPS is a very common server configuration, and Flexible is (for reasons defying comprehension) the default, we see this error so much here with new users that we know how to fix it even though the fix doesn’t immediately seem related.

The main thing to know about Flexible mode is that there are no circumstances under which it should ever be used.

4 Likes

You are the best, thanks again! Really appreciate your in depth responses even for something you get frequently; I’m a graphic designer with a growing interest in web development, so trying to absorb as much as I can along the way.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.