ADD TXT DNS for Gmail

I’m having trouble getting verified for google suite. I need to add txt DNS. I have logged in and it won’t verify for some reason.

What exactly do you mean with “it”? Google? Cloudflare? …?

1. What domain?

2. What record(s) do Google ask you to add?

3. How exactly do these record(s) look in your Cloudflare Dashboard, once you’ve attempted to add them?

4. What error codes/messages do you (eventually) see?

1 Like
  1. I keep getting an error notification from Cloudflare saying “cannot make changes to this domain”. I purchased the domain name through go daddy, but apparently, Cloudflare owns the domain.
  2. Google is trying to verify that I own the domain. The automatic verification process isn’t working for me as it’s taking me to the aforementioned error message. They have a manual way to add a txt record but I am struggling to do that through Cloudflare
  3. When I tried to register on Cloudflare it says the domain doesn’t exist with them. I am beyond confused because I contacted go daddy for support and they said Cloudflare is the domain administrator

Cloudflare doesn’t own your domain. :smile:

You, or someone acting on your behalf, decided to use Cloudflare’s DNS service to host your zone data. That party updated your domain registration at GoDaddy with the Cloudflare nameservers that were assigned.

Can share your domain here, so we can provide better answers?

1 Like

Oh my goodness, I have no idea how that happened. I am not IT literate at all! Maybe it was this website builder company I hired a few years ago. At any rate, I hope I can get all this figured out. You’ve been extremely helpful. The domain name is coast2coastcounselingsvc (.com)

Your DNS is definitely on Cloudflare. You may want to start with the website builders to see if they made the account on an email address that you control. If it is in their account onstead, you will need to weigh your options.

So without knowing who controls the email address associated with the account, is there any way to get the DNS back to Go Daddy?

Yes, but why torture yourself like that when you can use a different Cloudflare account just as easily instead? :smirk:

It is important that you understand the risks before you make any change to your domain’s nameservers. The IP addresses that you can see returned in DNS queries for your site are Cloudflare proxy IPs. If you put them into another DNS account (GoDaddy, Cloudflare, or even something else altogether), they will not work as expected. They may at first, but once Cloudflare detects that the nameservers have been changed the proxy will present errors instead of your site. You will need to know the real IPs of the server hosting your site and use them in any new DNS that you create.

It may be worth attempting to rgain access to the account or getting in touch with the old website builders.

The only way you’ll be able to regain access is by having access to the email address of the account.

These links may help, but they only work when logged out

If you know the email: https://dash.cloudflare.com/forgot-password
If you know the email and have 2FA issues: https://dash.cloudflare.com/login-help
If you don’t know the email: https://dash.cloudflare.com/forgot-email

Can you advise further? I’m really so computer illiterate. Please explain it to me like a kindergartener.

Sorry. I misread your earlier statement of

as “I am not IT illiterate at all!” and was treating this like a “You got this!” situation.

The short of it is, don’t make any changes to your DNS until you hire someone expert that you trust to work with you.

You can safely try the account recovery links in my previous reply. Unless you had a bad falling oput with the website builders, I still highly recommend trying to reach them, too.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.