Add a PSL (Public Suffix List) domain

Hi guys,

I purchased a domain included in the PSL list (.museum) but Clouflare does not recognize it as registered and I cannot add it to the control panel.

Can you help me understand how to do it? Please help me!!!

The usual problem here is not having active nameservers for your domain.

Can you share the domain? This makes it easier to check what is happening.

1 Like

Hi Michael,

of course! newyork.museum

the domain has the nameservers correctly configured

Thanks for your help

No HTTPS configured.

Just sayin’ :wink:

Just to clarify the situation …

I purchased this domain but Let’s Encrypt refuses to issue a free SSL certificate so I bought an SSL certificate from an Certification Authority but to my surprise they told me that for this domain, being included in the PSL list, it is not possible to issue the naked certificate but only with www i.e. (www.newyork.museum)

Now I have the SSL certificate which covers only www.newyork.museum but the hosting provider is unable to install it because the naked part of the certificate is missing, i.e. newyork.museum

So I wanted to try adding it to cloudflare to secure the domain

Your situation is very unusual. Given that the domain is on the PSL, it’s similar to somebody adding “com” to a Cloudflare account, and having Cloudflare try to issue a certificate for *.com, which for plenty of reasons will not work (mainly that it is forbidden by the CA/B Forum.)

My reading of the Baseline Requirements is that you cannot (easily) get a certificate issued for the public suffix, you must have a label to the left of the suffix.

Is this actually a public suffix? (Which is a suffix that members of the public can generally register domains under?) The solution appears to be to have your domain removed from the public suffix list.

You will probably have to open a support ticket, given the unusual nature of your situation. Please share the ticket number here.

To contact Cloudflare Customer Support, login & go to https://dash.cloudflare.com/?account=support and select get more help. If you receive an automatic response that does not help you, please reply and indicate you need more help.

2 Likes

I had already tried to open a ticket but it must be related to a domain already present in the dashboard for which I had not continued.
Now I have opened the Ticket 2148880 related to another domain by entering the problem related to the correct domain in the description

to answer your question, the domain is not a suffix such as .co.uk but a domain in effect that can be purchased at any register instead a suffix cannot be purchased

However the situation is really unusual and the problem is that the PSL list is managed by volunteers so it will take a lot of time before my request to delete the domain from the list is taken into consideration and honestly I don’t know if the deletion from the list would be possible

I hope someone will help me to solve this situation because I have been banging my head for 4 months without being able to solve this problem

Thanks a lot Michael…write me if you have any other suggestions

Your support was greatly appreciated!!

I think this is the crux of the situation. When I look at the list, it looks like major cities are on the list, so registrations would have to be “subdomains” under those city names. It’s certainly inconsistent, as losangeles is on the list and not available, but alaska and alabama are on the list and are available.

You might want to contact the .museum people and find out what’s really going on.
https://welcome.museum/contact/

1 Like

You are absolutely right, but my question is: why these domains are for sale? I bought the domain and not a suffix otherwise I would have expected that the register did not sell these domains

However, I will also contact AFNIC (French Association for Internet Naming) to understand what’s really going on.

Even the .museum people say “alaska” is available for purchase. Again, I suggest you contact them (the horse’s mouth, I hope) to find out what’s going on.