Account is disabled due to excessive CDN traffic

A person who claims to be a Cloudflare exclusive customer consultant contacted me and said that my website traffic has been growing rapidly recently, he wants me to change the subscription plan to enterprise (my current subscription plan is Business Plan), at least $4000 per month, because My CDN has too much cache (my website is a comic type website, with a lot of images, currently using google storage+Cloudflare cdn), if I don’t switch to enterprise, it is very likely that the account will be disabled, and there will be no before being disabled. Any advance notice. He also gave me chat logs of several disabled clients, making me feel like it was all real.

To be honest, I’m a little scared, if this is true, I’ll have to pay $4000 a month. However, my website is not making $4000 a month yet.

Hope someone can tell me if Cloudflare is really like this? If it is, how much cdn traffic will it be disabled?

Cloudflare’s CDN isn’t intended for lots of non-HTML assets.

If your website focuses primarily on media, such as images or videos, you should use the appropiate products (i.e Images, Stream, Workers KV or R2) for them. Those products are permitted to be used for serving non-HTML content as per the https://www.cloudflare.com/supplemental-terms

If you’re just using the CDN as-is for non-HTML content and your website is disproportionately non-HTML, this falls foul of 2.8 in https://www.cloudflare.com/terms/

Use of the Services for serving video or a disproportionate percentage of pictures, audio files, or other non-HTML content is prohibited, unless purchased separately as part of a Paid Service or expressly allowed under our Supplemental Terms for a specific Service. If we determine you have breached this Section 2.8, we may immediately suspend or restrict your use of the Services, or limit End User access to certain of your resources through the Services.

If you’d like more clarity on your particular situation, get in touch with the Sales team directly. https://www.cloudflare.com/plans/enterprise/contact/

2 Likes

This doesn’t sound characteristic of Cloudflare though, so I’d get in touch with Cloudflare either way to verify if you spoke to a genuine representative.

4 Likes

As noted in the reply from Support on your ticket, if this was the case that there was a section 208 violation, you would have received a warning notice. I’d contact the sales team via the link @KianNH supplied to verify/continue the conversation.

4 Likes

The following sentence in Article 2.8

Immediately deactivate without any notice. This is one I dread very much. If there is an advance warning, that’s fine, I can have time to make corresponding adjustments as soon as possible, or simply upgrade to the enterprise version

My website is a comic type, and pictures are an important part of my website. The domain name of pictures and the website are the same domain name, but different subdomains are used. My pictures only serve my website and are not provided to any third party . I personally feel that I should have not violated clause 2.8.

Of course, I also considered using the image service. I understand that the image billing method is billed after the number of transfers. But in order to let users see the loaded pictures as soon as possible on my website, I cut the large picture into many small pictures, which also As a result, I may request dozens of small pictures or even hundreds of small pictures on one page (of course, I use lazy loading, and the pictures will not be requested all at once). If my website uses images, the cost will be An astronomical sum.

I also learned about R2, which is currently in the public beta stage, and I found that the images currently stored in r2 can only be requested by workers, and each request will be counted in the number of worker requests. For me, this situation is the same as image The service is the same, the future cost will be astronomical.

I would like to grow the revenue of my website in the future, so that I can afford the Enterprise version.

The solution may not be about finding a cheaper image delivery service, or upgrading to enterprise. As you said the site cannot afford such expense yet (enterprise) and the other options you’ve explored like R2, Workers and Cloudflare Images are not going to be economical enough.

Rather the solution might be to optimise the site to pull your ratio of image vs text content more inline with Cloudflare’s expectations under section 208 and improve the loading performance too.

I haven’t see your site but some of your assets and comics maybe able to be vectorised; and your images maybe able to get cut into dynamic sizes. From what you said, I assume “cut the large pictures into many small pictures” is done using a tiles method where all the images are cut into the same size irrespective of the contents or compression.

I would suggest you explore options to improve your sites delivery of the comic strips so that Cloudflare is seeing less images and more text/html, text/svg content-types.

Cloudflare doesn’t have this job title.

Cloudflare doesn’t do sales via chat.

What @cloudflare.com email address did this person provide you?

1 Like

How much bandwidth is being reported being served via Cloudflare dashboard for your domain via the Traffic analytics and what content mime types request count on Cache Analytics page ? That would give you an idea of breakdown of asset content mime types/ratios

i.e.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.