Access restricted based on IP

Hi there,

Sorry if this is a very simple straightforward issue, my brother handled all the web development for us and unfortunately, he just passed away last month. I’m trying to figure things out as I go.

As i am looking for someone to help with the web management, i remember that we have an access restriction to the backend of the website based on our Ip address.

How can I give someone temporary access to our backend to fix the issues with our wordpress?

Thank you

Hi @user3285,

I’m sorry to hear that.

Two questions to help narrow down what might have been used for this.

1. If you are blocked from accessing it, what error page do you see? Can you post a screenshot?
  2. If it’s a Cloudflare error page, can you check the Firewall Events Log for an entry at the same time? That should show the Cloudflare feature that blocked it (if that’s what was used) and help us guide you on where to edit this setup.
    You can find this here: https://dash.cloudflare.com/?to=/:account/:zone/firewall
2 Likes

Damm, sorry to hear that. It must be tough.

If you are trying to gain access to the Cloudflare account, you’ll need to contact support

If you are trying to find why you or some else was restricted from accessing the website view your firewall rules.

Again, I’m sorry for your loss. It must be tough to go through something like that

As Dom pointed out, it may be a Cloudflare setting.

However, one workaround would be to revert back to a direct connection to your host. If you have access to the domain registration, you can set the name servers back to what your host recommends.

But this is contingent upon you having access to the domain registrar and the host (they may be the same people). Hopefully you have that info, or can get it, as you will need it at some point.

Thank you for that!

yea i found access to the account. ill check the rules next. i am just afraid of messing something up.

1 Like

I have access to the registrar.
the issue is that the domain is registered on inmotion hosting with the dns pointed to cloudflare and the website hosted on go daddy. I remember him saying using cloudlfare was for some specific reason secutrity wise but i dont remember.

this is what it says if i try to access it from outside an approved ip address.

error 1020
access denied

what happened?
this website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks

cloudflare ray id

i think i know how to add someones ip address. so if I find someone to help with the website, i can approve their Ip address. I am just afraid to let someone in the site and getting screwed

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.