Absolute begginer requesting the wisdom of the collective!

Answer these questions to help the Community help you get started.

*What is *the domain name?

heavythingsflying .com

(had to de-link domain name cos of an error with the link wouldnt allow me to post haha. The errors are following me around)

Have you searched for an answer?

Long and hard

Please share your search results url:

That must be thousands of tabs and windows over many days and nights… its been a journey!

When you tested your domain, what were the results?

Not applicable.

Describe the issue you are having:

Please refer to the lengthy spiel below.

What error message or number are you receiving?

Seriously, the majority of them…-1000, 1001, 1002, 1012, 10 16, 1023, 1025, 1033, 5 00, 5 02, 5 22, 5 24- time-outs, DNS & URL issues mostly

What steps have you taken to resolve the issue?

1. Endless research
    2.Endless trial and error
  2. Opened a ticket to support

Was the site working with SSL prior to adding it to Cloudflare?
N/A

What are the steps to reproduce the error:
1N/A.

Have you tried from another browser and/or incognito mode?

!!!ssshhhhhhhhiiiii.!!..

No. But my many hours of floundering and now finally, desperate cry for community help is due to almost total lack of experience and knowledge for this craft, though a lifelong sideline interest. Buying a NAS started a dive down a full on endless rabbit hole, but Ive got a plan and Im doing it.

You’ll surely be aghast at my lack of some very basic knowledge but I beseech you! Cringe your way through the wall of text and throw me a bone if you can! Thanks!

Hi, Im an enthusiastic noob with no coding experience, Im out of my depth trying to get a simple web page up and running and now urgently requesting help from the community brains trust! Heres some context-

Im trying to make a login page / portal / welcome screen, with some text and buttons linking to my new Asustor NAS 4 bay media beast, for select long-distance friends & family to enjoy any time.

I leased a domain name from Cloudlfare registrar and am on the free plan, and Im still struggling with the basics. Problems are many, Ill try to just stick to the fundaamentals lol-

• My goal is tiny and secuirty concerns minimal so Im trying to disable & simplify where safe to do so. Is there a ‘factory reset’ button? Or any suggestions for things that can make end result more trim & slim though still somewhat robust, please?

• Synthetic speed tests 100% fail rate and I know most error codes off by heart now- 1000, 1001, 1002, 1012, 10 16, 1023, 1025, 1033, 5 00, 5 02, 5 22, 5 24- time-outs, DNS & URL issues mostly. Strangely, browser DNS checkers usually report no DNS issues, dunno how reliable they are. I cant connect to my web site, dear community, not for love or money, or days n days of trying lol.

• My domain’s IP (c/o WHOIS) is unsuitable in DNS A records, apparently cos its bought from Clloudflare’s registrar. Cant use nameservers in NS records either…If someone could please tell me what IP address/s to use for DNS A records I could die happily right now, also what do I do with the nameservers if anything?

I apologise for the length and really appreciate if you made it this far. Any tips or hints even very basic stuff will be new & useful to me as Im a legit lvl 1 noob, anything will be very welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi!

I think we should start with the basics.

Just like you write your address on a good old physical letter, IP addresses are used on internet packets to tell them where to go.

As such, when you buy a domain, it doesn’t come with an IP address - the IP address is what you get from your Internet Service Provider (ISP), and you need to tell Cloudflare what your IP is so they can send traffic to you.

To find your IP address, just google “What is my IP” and either Google will tell you or you can use one of the many options.

However, before you progress, you should be aware that pointing public DNS to your home IP is not a very good practice. There are serious security concerns, especially when you don’t know what you are doing.
You also need to make sure that your IP is static, because many ISPs will change your home IP every 24 hours or so, and you probably don’t want to change it in Cloudflare all the time.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.