68 Random DNS records added

I added a domain and 68 random DNS records were added, most of them A Name records. I’m hosting the domain in Bluehost and have transferred the nameservers. There are 31 DNS records in Bluehost, 99 in Cloudflare.

I’ve followed the exact steps I did with other domains I transferred to Cloudflare with no issues. I have tried deleting this domain and adding it back multiple times. The first few times, there were over 200 DNS records added in Cloudflare.

Is there any way to mass delete these records? It’s taking forever to do them one at a time.

1 Like

Did you have a wildcard (*) DNS entry at Bluehost?

Sad to say, no. Maybe @aeffort can ask around if this has been considered.

No, I checked. It’s assigned as an addon but no wildcard DNS.

I’ve only seen random DNS records added because there’s a wildcard DNS entry at the host, so when Cloudflare starts guessing at possible subdomain hostnames, they all resolve.

That makes sense. I’m not sure what’s causing it. The DNS records in Bluehost are identical to the other ones I purchased from Bluehost and added to Cloudflare, and I treated this domain the same. I also reset the zones to default before trying to add it back into Cloudflare (3 times). Unfortunately the extra records do seem to be interfering so I guess I’ll have to take a day to delete them one by one if there’s no way to mass delete them.

Hi @mary3,

Sorry to hear that this is a time-consuming experience. Unfortunately, there’s not currently a quicker way to delete lots of records via UI at the moment. But, we do plan to improve this in the future.

In the meantime, here’s an article re deleting via API, in case that helps: Cloudflare API v4 Documentation

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.