525 SSL Handshake Errors

Within the last 1-2 days we have started to consistently get 525 SSL Handshake errors on loading our website at www.mocingbird.com at initial page load.

After 1 or 2 refreshes it usually loads correctly.

We use GoDaddy for hosting and GoDaddy has confirmed this not an issue on the GoDaddy side by attaching the domain to a different domain when the page consistently loads on the first load.

Any idea on what’s going on?

Thank you

I got a rather inconsistent set of codes at sitemeer.com/#https://www.mocingbird.com

As far as I can tell your server IP address should end in 68. Do you have any other IP addresses configured on your Cloudflare DNS screen? If you do that could be the reason why you get intermittent errors because Cloudfare would proxy to different machines.

Are you the same person as this thread? Did you/they get that problem resolved?

We are having the same issue. It started a couple of days ago and have not found any resolutions. I have opened a ticket with Cloudflare. Waiting for response.

@sandro that’s correct the Host IP does end in 68, and we do not have any other IP addresses configured. I see those same 3 IP’s (104.26.12.203, 104.26.13.203, 172.67.71.173) when I do the DNS Checker through whatsmydns.net as well and figured Cloudflare was perhaps masking the IP, is that not the usual behavior?

@sdayman that thread was indeed posted by someone in my team.

@torchystacos thank you, appreciate any update you can provide once you get a response back.

Thank you all for your responses, appreciate your help!

In that case you best go back to your host once more and clarify if they have any rate limiting in place and block connections from the proxies in certain cases. Hosts - and especially yours - typically deny that but eventually it turns out they have some security layer which does block or rate limit these requests.

Should they keep on saying that everything is fine on their end, then you could only open a support ticket with Cloudflare and have support check it out and shed some light what error they receive from your host. 525s are covered at Community Tip - Fixing Error 525: SSL handshake failed and are fired when Cloudflare cannot establish a proper SSL connection with your server.

Yep, there definitely is some issue with your host and that’s not even restricted to connections from Cloudflare.

Just sent two requests and the very first one already threw an SSL error.

$ curl -I --resolve www.mocingbird.com:443:[YOUR-SERVER-IP] https://www.mocingbird.com
curl: (35) OpenSSL SSL_connect: SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL in connection to www.mocingbird.com:443

$ curl -I --resolve www.mocingbird.com:443:[YOUR-SERVER-IP] https://www.mocingbird.com
HTTP/2 200
server: openresty
date: Thu, 20 May 2021 05:25:35 GMT
content-type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
content-length: 156686
accept-ranges: bytes
cf-edge-cache: cache,platform=wordpress
content-security-policy: upgrade-insecure-requests
strict-transport-security: max-age=300
vary: Accept-Encoding, User-Agent
x-backend: local
x-cache: cached
x-cache-hit: HIT
x-cacheable: YES:Forced
x-content-type-options: nosniff
x-xss-protection: 1; mode=block
strict-transport-security: max-age=31536000; includeSubDomains
1 Like

I’m also having a similar issue the initial load of my site is getting a 52X error (520, 521, and 525) But after a refresh it’s fine. Sadly I also have Godaddy and they’re saying it’s all a Cloudflare issue. What (more specifically) would you recommend we ask Godaddy to do to fix this issue? If any

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.