524 Error - Please help me!

I have received the following reply from Bluehost. My website (nakedexpat.com) is still just showing a Cloudflare “snapshot” and I really don’t know what to do now… :frowning:

From the case details, I understand that you are receiving the error “Error 524” while accessing the website, and also it shows a Cloudflare “snapshot”.

I have checked your website nakedexpat.com and I was able to replicate the issue on my end. It shows “This website ** ** is currently offline.” and then shows a snapshot. Also, I have received the “Error 524”.

The Error 524 error indicates that Cloudflare made a successful TCP connection to the origin web server, but the origin did not reply with an HTTP response before the connection timed out. Typically, Cloudflare waits 100 seconds for an HTTP response. If the origin doesn’t respond in that time, Cloudflare closes the connection and you’ll see “Error 524: A timeout occurred”.

Further reviewing the issue, I have checked the logs and I was unable to find unable to find any long-running process on our servers, and also unable to find any issues on our servers. I have also tried increasing the memory limit and timeout limits. However, still it shows the error message.

After further inspection, I have tried creating a basic phpinfo.php file, and tried accessing it at: https://nakedexpat.com/phpinfo.php received the error “Error 524”. However, I was able to access the same file using the temp URL:

Also, I have added the following code to the “wp-config.php” file ( Reverted the changes after testing ), and tried accessing the website

Code:
define( ‘WP_HOME’ xxxxxx)
define( ‘WP_SITEURL’, xxxxx )

The above screenshots show that there is no issue with server and the website is working fine on temp URL. I also did some researching on my end and was able to locate the following resources that seem relevant and may just give you the information you need:

The best option is to contact Cloudflare regarding the issue, and also check for any timeout limit under Cloudflare Dashboard.

I’m afraid that this wasn’t something we could resolve on our end. I hope this email has covered all the necessary information. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to let us know. We’ll be happy to do all that we can on our end.

I’m not sure what the temp URL is, but it’s probably not proxied through Cloudflare.

Best to toggle that hostname to :grey: DNS Only (click on the :orange: to change it), then wait five minutes and see if the site starts working again, but make sure it’s using HTTPS.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.