I tried looking at the CloudFlare guide on why a 524 error could occur. But I doesn’t make sense to me. My website was working just fine, hosted from SiteGround. I didn’t make any recent changes, and suddenly I was having this 524 timeout error. I can access this website just fine through a proxy, but not a vpn, mobile data or local internet. I’m not sure what the problem is. It’s this website: https://therevisionist.org/
Thank you, and I’d appreciate any advice! - Raqib
P.S.> Also let me know what pictures/info I need to show here so that you guys can help me troubleshoot the problem. Thanks again!
I took a loot at that, I get that the TCP connection was made successfully. So are you saying it is a hosting problem? I asked the people from the SIteGround side, and they said that it was loading just fine. But when I try to access the website, I get the 524 error. But not through a proxy. But the same problem through VPN. Does that make any sense to you?
Makes sense to me. The host firewall is seeing a lot of traffic from a small set of connecting IPs. Looking like an attach, the firewall is blocking the traffic.
Your host needs to whitelist cloudflare’s connecting IPs.
Hi, I would like to interject. I was getting this error also.
To test a theory (because I wasn’t getting this error before going to https when checking with linkchecker).
My recent past history will show that I removed my site from cloudflare’s https and went back to http and turned off virtually all of the cf features (even setting the firewall to essentially off) for about 2 or more weeks.
Problem Solved: No more was I getting the Error: 524 Origin Time-out
What I noticed in going back to https using cloudflare is that the errors have returned.
Cloudflare is my domain name server by the way.
I read the docs of course available on cloudflare (that point us back to fixing our server’s setup files but I don’t think that might be it). I also of course tried going into DEVELOPMENT MODE and that also does not stop the 524 errors.
The errors do not appear to be item specific when I check my site with LinkChecker (i.e. one day it’s this file that is 524, then another day it’s a different file. If I let the linkchecker continue to the end of checking all then I simply get a bunch of 524’s reported but I usually just bail after they start coming in by choosing abort).
I think ultimately my problem was that my website was x.com but when i changed all the files in the site to be www.x.com it seems to have remedied the issue.