522 Error Without www

Hi, my domain name is nathanlazarus.com. If I attempt to go to nathanlazarus.com/nonsensepage, I get a 522 error, while if I go to www.nathanlazarus.com/nonsensepage, I get taken to the 404 page I created that says “Page Not Found”.

The site is hosted at GitHub pages (here’s the repo), the SSL certificate says it’s for “*.nathanlazarus.com, nathanlazarus.com (2 hosts)” and is located at www.nathanlazarus.com/nathanlazarus.com.pem, and the SSL/TLS encryption mode is Full, not “Full (strict)”.

Can you help me troubleshoot this? Let me know if there’s any more information I can provide.

Thanks,
Nathan

Then you currently have a security issue.

1 Like

Ok, thanks, I changed that. It had to be switched from “Full (strict)” to integrate with GitHub and I just hadn’t changed it back, but now I did.

The issue with the 522 error persists though; can anyone advise on that?

Thanks.

I am afraid I do not seem to be able to reproduce that and it’s loading fine for me and at sitemeer.com/#https://www.nathanlazarus.com.

Are you sure you are still experiencing the 522? The error itself is covered at Community Tip - Fixing Error 522: Connection timed out but, unless Github has temporary issues, I’d doubt that connection would time out.

Generally, you do not have a valid certificate configured for your naked domain, why I would suggest you implement Redirect example.com to www.example.com.

It sounds like the Redirect example.com to www.example.com will do the trick, though I thought I had that taken care of with an A DNS record. Is this the best practice, to not have a valid certificate for the naked domain and then do this redirection?

But you can’t reproduce it? What happens if you go to nathanlazarus.com/nonsensepage? Since I changed things to “Full (strict)” I’ve gotten a 526 error instead of 522.

Thanks, and sorry for my lack of knowledge on the best practices here.

The best practice is to have a proper certificate. If you can configure that, go for it and there won’t be the need for that redirect.

And yes, that URL gives me a 526, but that’s because of the broken certificate. But on “www” there’s no 522 either but only the 404 you expect → sitemeer.com/#https://www.nathanlazarus.com/nonsensepage

1 Like

Ok, great, yeah, that makes sense. Could you point me towards some resources on configuring a proper certificate?

I generated a Cloudflare universal certificate for the hosts (*.nathanlazarus.com, nathanlazarus.com), and uploaded it to the root directory as “nathanlazarus.com.pem”, such that it’s available at www.nathanlazarus.com/nathanlazarus.com.pem. I don’t know much at all about the security/SSL stuff, so I’m not surprised it didn’t work!

I am afraid server configuration is beyond the scope of the forum here and better discussed at StackExchange or Reddit.

However, simply uploading won’t do it. You need to configure the webserver accordingly. Please consult your server manual or contact your host for that.

Your “www” record does have a valid certificate right now however, so if you implement the redirect I mentioned earlier you should be good. Just make sure you have configured Full Strict, as everything else is not secure.

Ok, thanks, it does seem to work this way.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.