520 errors driving me up the wall

I don’t know what I’m doing, I need help. I’m trying to setup my website so I can access it from port 443. I have the server equipment in my house, all guides I find say to contact my host but that’s me. I’m at the point where I think it’s cloudflares DNS. I am using the Kemp load balancer and a wildcard ssl from cloudflare. I followed a network chuck tutorial to set that up, the plex server just worked, I basically had no configuration on the plex server and SSL works on that no problem, why doesn’t it do the same for an ecommerce site? I figure it’s a configuration issue. My ISP blocks port 80 so none of the traditional guides work because everything assumes certbot will have access to port 80, so I found a way for certbot to just look for the dns txt file and that works, but certbot doesn’t setup any of the https configurations in apache2, since I don’t know what I’m doing I assume that’s where I’m making mistakes.

I can’t verify if this is my servers problem or cloudflare though. I always get a 520 error when I try to access my website, if I put plex in front of the domain i.e. plex.website.com that gets the ssl no problem, my website is on website.com though, that doesn’t work and gets the 520 error. It works fine from port 80 internally. I don’t even know where server logs are stored, everything says to check server logs but I’m so clueless I have no clue where they are. Would those be apache logs? I am getting incredibly frustrated trying to get this working, I’ve been trying for 4 months and have no clue what I’m doing. I don’t want to continue paying my host because it costs a lot of money and it’s so damn slow. I have a good server here with tons of ram and a fast enough connection to serve what I need, but I can’t figure this out. Where would I even begin to try and figure this out?

If I shut the vm server off that hosts the website entirely I get an error saying the authenticity could not be verified. Well… it can’t be verified because it should be getting no response at all from the server since it is off. It doesn’t time out at all, it goes to that screen immediately. Nobody can get into my server to look because my isp blocks 80 and 443 works because kemp works, but I don’t know what the ■■■■ I’m doing, the only reason that works is because the tutorial worked as expected.

It is likely a problem with your server.

If you’re serving via Apache, then yes. This is the first place to start. If you can’t find these, then you won’t get anywhere.

Other than that:

Good luck!

Edit: Also, might I suggest trying a free-ish server online? Both Firebase and Heroku have decent free plans… And they would be more reliable and easier to set up than what you’re going through…

Thank you, I couldn’t figure it out. I want to learn how to use ESXI and this server I just got because I want to work in IT eventually, but if I can’t even figure out SSL, I’m doomed. It’s been 4 months and I’ve gotten nowhere. I already have a host, they give you garbage resources and I have a ton of them on this equipment I otherwise wouldn’t use.

I have plex running on windows 2019 server, all I had to do was click “Enable SSL” and apparently it’s using the wildcard cloudflare one with no problems. Do windows programs just work a lot easier? I.E. could it be a switch to windows server 2019 that will just make it work because Linux distros have 100 million options whereas windows just usually works right out of the box? I’m going to end up needing to enroll in a university class just to get this damn ssl to work.

I need help with SSL. I can not get it to work, I’ve wasted over 120 days trying to figure it out and I’ve given up. I have a wildcard ssl from cloudflare. I’m running a load balancer called “Kemp”. and I have the SSL setup on the load balancer, that part works. I’m running a plex server. All I had to do was click an enable SSL button on plex and it worked, why can’t the ecommerce sites be like that?

I don’t pay a host to use their server, I have one of my own running from my house. I use VMWare ESXI to run my servers. Plex is running on windows server 2019. The website is being run from an Ubuntu linux vm. My ISP blocks port 80 so certbot won’t work through their regular automated processes, I have to use the DNS one where you put a file on dns and certbot reads it. That’s how I got my wildcard ssl working. I’ve followed so many tutorials, half of which didn’t work because I’m just copy and pasting the instructions, when I run into an error, that’s the end of it because I have no understanding of what’s going on further than “Copy this and it’ll work”, I don’t even know which one I followed to get the cloudflare one working.

Is there an idiots guide to ssl somewhere? For someone that has absolutely no understanding of it whatsoever? I don’t care HOW it works, I just want it TO work. I’m trying to get this to work with prestashop. I’m also still testing this with a domain I don’t intend to use, so hopefully it’ll be easy to transfer, or I’ll understand how to set it up under a fresh install.

I don’t know how to make it all work with the load balancer. Do I need multiple SSLs? I.E. does it need a NEW one for the website? Or will the cloudflare one on the load balancer work? If I had any hair on my head I would have pulled it all out by now. If I tried to setup the website within a windows 2019 server VM does it just work like plex? I.E. Is Linux a huge pain in the ■■■ and windows is so easy you just click buttons to make it work?

It’s so frustrating that I feel like I know so little that I’m afraid this question doesn’t make sense at all to anyone. I reach out for help constantly at varying sources to get the same lack of a response, it leads me to believe that I’m asking questions that don’t even make sense because my understanding is that lacking.

The best place to start is with a DNS-Only configuration here (:grey: DNS records), or just Pause Site on Cloudflare from the lower right corner of the Overview page for your domain at dash.cloudflare.com

Once you get your origin up and running with HTTPS, the Cloudflare integration will be a breeze.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.