520 Error when in WP Dashboard

Hi,
I wanted to reach out to see if anyone knows why I am getting a 520 error on my WordPress site.

A few things to note:

1. This only happens when I am in the WordPress dashboard, not the actual site.
  2. It happens a few times a day but usually works fine after a refresh
  3. My host is DreamHost and I reached out to them they claim there are no issues on their end and that I should reach out to Cloudflare.

Has anyone had any similar case with 520 error and WP and how did they fix it?

Thanks!

Greetings,

Thank you for asking.

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing an error 520 with your WordPress website.

Regarding Cloudflare 520 error, may I suggest you to try looking into below articles to troubleshoot the issue:

Before moving to Cloudflare, was your Website working over HTTPS connection?

You could determine this by:

1. Use the “Pause Cloudflare on Site” option from the Overview tab for your domain at dash.cloudflare.com .
  2. The link is in the lower right corner of that page.
  3. Give it five minutes to take effect, then make sure site is working as expected with HTTPS without any error
  4. Check with your hosting provider / cPanel AutoSSL / Let’s Encrypt / Certbot / ACME and renew it in case if needed
  5. Only then, when your website responds over HTTPS, you should un-pause Cloudflare and double-check your SSL/TLS setting to make sure it’s Full (Strict).

May I ask what SSL option have you got selected under the SSL/TLS tab at Cloudflare dashboard for your domain ( Flexible, Full, Full Strict … )?

Here is a way to re-check if you correctly setup the SSL for your domain with Cloudflare:

In case you do not have an SSL certificate, you can use Cloudflare SSL, if so, kindly make sure you follow the instructions as follows on the below article to setup an SSL certificate using Cloudflare Origin CA Certificate:

Last but not least, kindly have a look here for more information regarding SSL settings at the SSL/TLS tab on Cloudflare dashboard:

Furthermore, do not skip below step and kindly re-check with your hosting provider and your firewall (for example if using UFW or iptables or Wordfence security plugin?) if Cloudflare is allowed to connect to your origin host to as follows in the below article:

Nevertheless, Cloudflare IP addresses list can be found here:

Is your WordPresss admin configured to work over HTTPS (SSL)?

Quick tip: Tune-up your PHP values a bit at your server/hosting provider/cPanel if you can:

memory_limit = 256M
max_execution_time = 300
max_input_time = 1000
max_input_vars = 5000 or 7000
post_max_size = 64M
upload_max_filesize = 32M

I’d also suggest you to try and enable the WordPress Debug mode and check for any clue, if so:

Nevertheless, kindly the last step which I’d suggest you is to write a ticket to Cloudflare support due to your account and/or domain issue and share the ticket number here with us so we could escalate this issue:

• Login to Cloudflare and then contact Cloudflare Support by clicking on the Get More Help button. If you get automatic reply, reply and indicate to it you need more help and reference to this topic
  • Or send an an e-mail to support[at]cloudflare[dot]com from your e-mail associated with your Cloudflare account

Furthermore, if you have been through all these above suggestion and are not seeing corresponding issues on your network/server and you have a ticket number with Cloudflare, please reply and post that ticket number # here.

To enable efficient troubleshooting by support, please ensure you include the following on the ticket:

• example URL(s) where you are seeing the error
  • Ray IDs from the 520 pages
  • output from a traceroute from any impacted user
  • output of example.com/cdn-cgi/trace - replace example.com with the affected domain.
  • Also include two HAR file(s) : one detailing your request with Cloudflare enabled on your website and the other with Cloudflare temporarily disabled - see How do I temporarily deactivate Cloudflare

Hi Fritex,
I appreciate the feedback. The problem with trying to troubleshoot this is that the issue is not persistent. It happens about 3 to 4 times a day at different times and they are days when it does not happen at all. Usually, it goes away when I hit refresh. It has been happening for over a month but it rarely happens.

I was wondering, can an SSL certificate or WP plugin cause this? It is only happening on the wp dashboard not the main site itself

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.