503 Service Unavailable error only when trying to access website on root domain with Firefox for Android

I have a site

https www.bobpat.band

that is served as a Wordpress site. It also responds to the alias

https bobpat.band

I have a redirect from http to https on a PFSense box running HAProxy in front of this, using Acme certificates, as the sites were previously accessible without Cloudflare too.

Now that I have Cloudflare DNS on bobpat.band and www.bobpat.band, and have proxying turned on on both, I can access the sites in Windows Firefox and Wndows Chrome (up to date as of today) as

http bobpat.band
https bobpat.band
http www.bobpat.band
https www.bobpat.band

All of these get redirected to https://www.bobpat.band in the end.

But I can not access it as

http bobpat.band
https bobpat.band

from Firefox for Android, which is as far as I know updated to the latest version. I get the 503 Service Unavailable message only when accessing from that browser.

I used

about:networking

in Android Firefox to check that the DNS entries for Cloudflare were being accessed; as far as I know it’s pointing at Cloudflare.

I can access the website as

http www.bobpat.band
https www.bobpat.band

on Firefox Android; the redirector works the first time I hit it, to send it to HTTPS, then HSTS takes over from there.

I’ve read that in cases of Wordpress sites hosted on admittedly not very buff servers, it can throw 503 errors when it’s under severe load. Admittedly this server is not super powerful, but it is on gigabit fiber and has about 4GB RAM assigned to it and as far as I know it’s not under attack of any kind

I moved all my Apache logs to an alternate location for safekeeping, then restarted Apache to get all blank log files, then triggered the error from Firefox Android. Then checked the logs. No additional logs were created when I got the Service Unavailable error returned, so I don’t know where to look for the problem.

I see mentions to rate limiting–I host the webserver, so I don’t know how it would be rate limited unless that’s a WordPress specific function.

Basically, i want to know whether there are common mistakes with setting up security in Cloudflare that an cause this with just specific kinds of browser, or if it’s definitely a Wordpress kind of error.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.