>48 hrs ago, changed name server assignments at registrar GoDaddy from CF to DO & even deleted *.mashweb.club from CF, but still getting a 1001 error from CF's network

No, people flag the posts.

See

@iwalker

Now I’m reading this your last reply carefully. A lot of it is still unclear to me. Is there a very simple explanation of this on the web starting from zero? An explanation ‘like I’m a five-year-old’?

One thing that confuses me is the mention of ‘authoritative’ DNS servers – but never other DNS servers. There must be some other kind of DNS server besides authoritative ones. What are they used for?

What are the NS records? Are they only to set the authoritative DNS servers, or do they set all DNS servers?

Thanks again for clarifying a lot of this for me and others.

In the context of managing your domain(s), Nameservers are authoritative DNS name servers for your domain (e.g. coolsite.com), but they also have NS records.

NS type is a DNS record, which is not the same as domain authoritative nameserver.

Usually, we use NS type DNS record when we want to use for example ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com to provide DNS service for some other domains under our domain → eg. example.org would change their domain nameservers to ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com.

NS record Identifies authoritative DNS servers for a domain.

There knows to be a small confussion at first, or users put Cloudflare nameservers (or any other) into the “NS” field of their domain registrar, instead putting them into the desired “nameserver” field.

More detailed about it can be read at the Learning Center at the link from below:

1 Like

@fritex Thank you. That adds some more pieces to the puzzle.

The basics of DNS (not the details of the protocols or formats of packets or such minutiae) seem so simple to me that why they have eluded me all these years could only be due to my laziness. However, having been bitten by the problem with my subdomain, I thought I’d look for a clear and succinct explanation and found one: How DNS Works Visually - YouTube

I know, I know. I should learn this by reading. However, it’s actually faster for me if I watch a video with good diagrams and good narration. If the video is on YouTube I typically speed it up by a factor of about 1.5 to save my time.

Here’s a schematic view of how a DNS request gets resolved for a client like a web browser:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.